transforming objects with offscreen manipulators

1633   4   0
115 posts
Hi,

I need to transform something by a small amount and would like to use the manipulators to do it, but the pivot position is a long way off. In old softimage land it wasn't a problem as you could transform stuff without having manips visible. Is there a quick way to do this in Houdini, working in the viewport and not using the ladders? Even a “move pivot to bounding object / vertex average” type thing would work so long as it's at sop level.

cheers,

A>
Edited by Andi Farhall - May 2, 2018 09:52:32
1265 posts
Not sure if I understand this correctly, but you could use the MMB to translate the object, even if it is off screen (as long as it is the active object)
I requested an RFE a long time ago to keep the handle on the viewport edge (like Softimage) like the way lables work in Houdini…but nothing yet.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
A CoG (center of geometry) toggle would be very useful as well. In fact this is among the things I can't work without, coupled with way too many transformation & manipulation issues/shortcomings…

A bigger offender for when the object is off-screen is the fact that if you're in, say, point mode, MMB-ing will result in an increase of the Soft radius. Bug (?) submitted a while back.
115 posts
Cheers Werner, I was unaware of the MMB which works well enough for the time being. Viewport work definitely needs a bit of love in Houdini.

A>
1265 posts
Cool. Don't you want to submit a RFE to keep handles on edge of screen while selected objects are out of view. That would bump up my request.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
  • Quick Links