Arnold for Houdini Apprentice

4437   2   0
6 posts
Hi everyone,

I am starting to lear houdini, so I got the Apprentice version. However this doesn't support third party renderes, like Arnold, which I wanted to install, as according to the Solid Angle Website, it is free for educational purpouses.

If Houdini Apprentice is suppose to be the educational version for students(the “educatinal version” is only meant for school/university-labs) why doesn't it support the Arnold EDU license?

Cheers,
Tino
76 posts
Hi Tinoxps welcome to SideFX forums.
My name is Harry Abreu I started Houdini since version 15.
I am really new but I loved this software and our community is very friendly.
If you see very close SideFX have different licenses for different propositus, in my opinion Houdini Apprentice is for everyone that want to learning Houdini.
Houdini have Mantra that is a very capable render engine and in my opinion do not exist any solution in the market fairly integrate in Houdini better than Mantra.
Think like this other render engine will distract you to learning and understand Houdini.
But if you really need to learns other render engine we have Houdini Indie that is very good in a lot of aspect inclusive to allow other render engines.
Maybe you need to read it with a little more attention Houdini Apprentice is not for school or university Houdini Apprentice is to any one in the world that want to learn Houdini for school and another institution SideFX has another solution.
Any way welcome to Houdini happy learning.
6 posts
Hi Harry,

thanks for the reply. I got your point and totally agree with it. I just wanted to also experiment with other render engines inside houdini, so I can get familiar with other pipelines.

Thanks and cheers,

Tino
  • Quick Links