Search - User list
Full Version: Access packed primitives from unreal hda
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Access packed primitives from unreal hda
anon_user_15870133
Hello,

We currently have one digital asset in our unreal level that creates simple geometry. Is it possible to create a second hda that takes that first one as an input and be able to unpack primitives from it for further manipulation?

Or is the houdini asset input type limited to manipulating the final output of the referenced hda?
mikelyndon-sesi
That's possible. If you pass one hda into another the whole thing executes in a Houdini process so any native Houdini content, like packed primitives, is retained.
anon_user_15870133
Well that's good news. Sounds like the problem is me then. I must be doing it wrong.

What I've got now is one HDA in unreal that makes a wall based on a curve. Nothing special. In that tree I'm packing the result and grouping it.

Then in the second HDA, I'm placing it in unreal, attaching the firs HDA (the wall one) to it as an input and attempting to unpack it so I can continue manipulating the geometry. Am I going off the beaten path here?
anon_user_15870133
Just closing the loop:

My issue was I had the second HDA input type set to world outliner, not asset. This meant it was reading the geo, not the hda. Switching it to asset solved my problem.

Currently one hda in unreal level creates assets, a second hda references it as an asset input and uses the points and groups from the first one to create more geometry.

tl:dr Got it to work, problem in chair, not in computer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.