Missing UVquickshade: What file do I need to delete

1709   6   0
340 posts
For some reason, suddenly the UV quickshade node no longer exists for new files. Files I've already saved have it, and I can even copy and paste quickshade from older files onto new files. I am sure there is some cache or pref file that got corrupted, but I'm not sure which one. I've done first aid on my hard drive, rebooted my computer, deleted and reinstalled the latest daily build and the problem persists.
Edited by Island - June 8, 2018 15:03:32

Attachments:
MissingQuickshade.jpg (895.3 KB)

340 posts
Well, I tried the usual delete prefs, run first aid, even reinstall OSX without fix. After talking with tech support, I renamed the /Houdini/16.5 and restarted Houdini (which rebuilt the directory). I'm not sure which pref was broken (or plugin), but everything works fine now.
833 posts
Interesting and weird, I've never had nodes disappear in OS X unless it was some HDA that I installed separately. I guess I would have also tried re-installing Houdini from scratch to see if something went awry along the way. Glad you got it sorted out.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
340 posts
I did a daily build install of Houdini without success. Interesting comment on HDA - I installed DM HDA, tabtoo, and the recent mograph like assets. I wonder if it was one of them. Whatever it was, everything is fine now except the annoying bug where invoking uv flatten from the radial menu crashes Houdini. In network view, it works.
340 posts
I found the culprit. This is 100% reproducible. It was the houdini.env line for the new MOPS:

MOPS = “/Users/island/Documents/Houdini/MOPS-Master”
HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH = $MOPS/otls;@otls

When that is added, uv quickshade disappears as an option. I initially had a colon rather than semicolon in the second line, but was told by SideFx tech support that for OSX, I needed to change that to a semicolon. Either way, this was the line that lost me the UV quickshade node. Weird.
Edited by Island - June 10, 2018 10:47:11
833 posts
Weird indeed, I have the same line and my Quickshade node is there and works just fine. The only difference is that I put my MOPS-Master folder in my Houdini preferences folder in my user Library as opposed to in the Documents folder.

Also, I use Colon and not Semi-Colon and it works just fine.
Edited by Midphase - June 10, 2018 12:33:21

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 9.36.11 AM.png (691.9 KB)

>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
340 posts
Toadstorm solved it for me (it was a user error). The last line:
HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH = $MOPS/otls;@otls

should have had an extra upslash before the final otls:
HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH = $MOPS/otls;@/otls

Now it works. Still weird.
  • Quick Links