Permission error in blackboxed HDA

6320   4   0
120 posts
Hi,

Is there a way to execute a Python script inside or outside HDA that is reading geometry inside HDA ?

I get permission error when I try to do this. I want to querry geo inside blackboxed HDA and pass result to the parameter of HDA. Why is that illegal ?

Unable to evaluate expression (
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "", line 4, in expression
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.457/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py", line 56807, in node
return _hou.node(*args)
PermissionError: You don't have permissions to access that node in a compiled HDA.
(/obj/geo1/subnet1/null1/parm)).

Attached example HDA. Please convert it to blackboxed to see the error.
Thank you

Attachments:
testHda.hdanc (3.4 KB)

Michal Tas Maciejewski @ www.vfxtricks.com
46 posts
Hi Michal :-)

Yeah, you can't do that. Allowing an expression to look inside would essentially unblackbox it.

If you need to blackbox it, I'd suggest blackboxing the guts with a second HDA, then having the output of that exposed to the main HDA. That way the bulk of it is protected, but you can see access specific parts of it with a script.

Ben Andersen
120 posts
Thanks Ben for advise.

I cant say that I like this approach. This way I end up with two HDA files, I'm putting extra effort to keep it all in one file, easier for distribution. Its asset for general public.

There is a list of Editable nodes in Type Properties. I cant stop thinking that once I specify if, I should be able to edit those nodes, as well as query.

Best
Michal Tas Maciejewski @ www.vfxtricks.com
46 posts
Yeah, normally you can put two nodes into the same HDA file, but not if one is blackboxed and the other isn't.

One other (even worse) solution would be for the node to generate an external subnet when you put it down, with an object merge to pull it back inside the node in the blackboxed hda.

In my experience, blackboxing of HDAs doesn't seem totally finished. Still has a bit more to go. Maybe file an RFE to get them some attention :-)
7 posts
Hey guys, I'm trying to blackbox an asset but I get a permission error when it runs. Can anyone shed some light on this situtation, I don't know where to look.

Thanks

George
  • Quick Links