Search - User list
Full Version: Writing out heighfield from Maya
Root » Houdini Engine for Maya » Writing out heighfield from Maya
MartinBaadsgaard
Hey there guys.

I am new to Houdini and Houdini Engine. Currently evaluating it for making pipeline for terrain editing.
First thing I tried was to create a heightfield and convert to polygons, then load the asset in Maya.
That went perfectly fine.

I then tried reading in a heightfield and converting it to polygons. That was also perfectly fine.

Now I am trying to export out the heightfield again, after some changes (just noise for now) and it just. won't. work!

I middle-drag the Save To Disk button into the Type Properties/Parameters, Save Node Type and load it in Maya.
This worked for the reload-button of the heightfield file texture.

Anyone got this working for them?
How about from an ROP with baketexture?

This is on Maya 2018, Houdini Indie 16.5.496, Windows 10.
juliap
Which node were you exporting with? And were you exporting the heightfield geo or the polys? If I export with the file node (i.e. set the mode to write and use the reload-button), it will export the file from maya as long as the display node is set at or below the file node. (same with filecache and Save To Disk) I had the display flag on a merge node below the file and filecache nodes when I was playing with it. Can you attach a copy of your asset?
MartinBaadsgaard
Hey there. Thank you for the reply. I managed to get it working at the end.

I tried using the Heightfield Output node (I needed a heightmap texture) and it did nothing.
But then I dove into it and found the exact bits and pieces that did the exporting.
So when creating my own COP2 network with a SOP import, some conversion and a COP RenderOut I could make it work!

As I said, I am completely new to Houdini so I am just feeling my way around.

I attached my .hda for anyone else who wants to see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.