Search - User list
Full Version: [SOLVED... well, kinda] Prefractured objects are a jumbled mess.
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » [SOLVED... well, kinda] Prefractured objects are a jumbled mess.
ChazS
I'm attempting to complete Steven Knipping's Rigid I tutorial, but an hour into the video my prefractured object is a jumbled mess.

Steve was kind enough to load up the file to discover it's working fine on his machine. Aside from some unknown diffs with our workstation specs, the obvious one is that he's using build 378 and I'm on 496 (v16.5).

Plans are to revert my copy to 378 to see what happens, but before doing so I was hoping someone running 496 would be willing to open my file and report the result. Please?

I've attached the hip file, as well as a txt file of my machine spec (generated by Houdini) and some screens of both results from mine and Steve's machine.

Any other comments and suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Many thanks.
ChazS
Once the issue of Houdini constantly crashing was resolved, I was able to spend some time reviewing the file. The pivot location in the ASSEMBLE node (for the voronoi fracturing network) was set to centroid. Setting it to origin resolved the issue. ~Cheers

UPDATE: So changing the pivot location to origin will collapse all the points into one spot. This creates a new issue when using constraints (i.e. connectadjacentpieces), so another solution or work-around for either the jumbled pieces or the constraint needs to be found.
tamte
it's the Initial State Rotation on your rbdpackedobject, it's rotating each piece around it's pivot, hence the mess

move and rotate the geo before going to DOPs
ChazS
tamte
it's the Initial State Rotation on your rbdpackedobject, it's rotating each piece around it's pivot, hence the mess

move and rotate the geo before going to DOPs

Sounds like a plan. Thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.