Constraints are activating/breaking

3442   2   1
12 posts
I'm following a tutorial where the constraint network for the tutor remains intact where mine begins to immediately crumble. In the tutorial, the model remains whole and doesn't break at all and the constraint strength is set to zero.

However, the model in mine begins to crumble at the base as soon as the sim begins.

He's using an older version of Houdini, so maybe my newer version requires a different setting somewhere.

The other issue might be due to a naming error that is appearing in the connectadjacentpieces node of the SOP network (I haven't figured out how to fix that one either).

I'm cross linking these two issues in case one is the result of the other. The other topic https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/56988/ [www.sidefx.com]

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ChazS - July 24, 2018 18:58:21

Attachments:
constraintsBreaking.JPG (186.2 KB)

12 posts
Here is the file in case it helps to load it up and take a peek yourself.

Attachments:
Rigids_IIa.hipnc (410.8 KB)

6 posts
Hey!

You probably already found a solution, but the problem is that you are missing a node that makes the pieces at the bottom (which hold the weight of the entire structure) inactive, making them stay in place no matter what forces act on them.

You need to add an attribute wrangler node before the null “pieces” and paste these lines:

if (@P.y < ch(“haight_threshold”)){
i@active=0;
} else {
i@active=1;
}

What they do is make the points under a certain height inactive.
You also need to click the little icon next to the VEXpression to create the ch(“haight_threshold”)slider that controls its value.

I'm a beginner so take what I said very lightly as I'm probably wrong; that said, do this and it should fix the problem.

I haven't tried it but I guess you would be able to use a similar process to increase the glue strength only for the pieces at the bottom instead of making them inactive so that you would still be able to break them but they would be able to hold the structure without collapsing.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 11.21.32.png (323.5 KB)
Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 11.25.06.png (5.7 KB)

• Quick Links