Confused Ice Cubes?

914   1   0
126 posts
Also, I'm confused too…

Trying to simulate a few cubes dropping into a flip fluid setup.

All seems okay right up until the cubes touch the flip sim then they drop dramatically for one or two frames (faster than they were falling with just gravity) and the *poof* they're gone!

I've tested out the cubes falling into the cylindrical container (found that RBD gives better results) and it works as expected!

Reconnect the flip solver and everything gets strange.

I've upped my substeps to 100 for the flip and rbd solver with no luck! Also dropped the gravity from -9 to -1 thinking that may help- nope!

Looking closely it looks like the collisions are at least happening, as I can see the results of the ice cubes hitting the fluid (albeit at an oddly higher velocity than expected). Still fairly new to houdini so I'm guessing it's something simple I'm missing.

Any search terms I should be using the googling for help/examples?

Thanks!

Attachments:
ConfusedIceCubes_v3_001.hiplc (3.7 MB)

126 posts
Ah… not sure if it's the “right” way but I seriously decreased my flip object resolution and it seems to be stable now. Makes sense- tons o' particles getting compressed and pushed around was creating some odd results.

Using a low res sim for the the RBD portion then using the baked results of that to drive a higher res flip sim.
  • Quick Links