Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini 16.5 crashing when I use TAB menu
Root » Technical Discussion » Houdini 16.5 crashing when I use TAB menu
dickonknowles
Hi,

Is anyone else having an issue where the TAB menu is causing Houdini to crash? This is a new issue for me and my copy was working fine until a couple of days ago.

I'm seeing weird behaviour when I scroll through the menu items as well, like a quick glitch in the menu before it opens out.

When it crashes I get this message “2812: Fatal error: Segmentation fault”

Attached is a crash log and image of the menu glitch.

Would be great to hear if someone else has any thoughts?
hyunj16
I have the same problem. I just bought a new laptop, and I only installed Houdini on it. It keeps on crashing when I hit Tab. I have no idea what to do. Is it my laptop's fault? Should I get a new laptop or reinstall?
chrism
How to log bugs:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/15603/ [www.sidefx.com]

System Requirements for Houdini
https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/ [www.sidefx.com]
xtimmyx
I have the same issue running Windows 10 on my MSI GS73 laptop on 16.5.571. Any version 16 or above crashes. 15.5 works fine.
hyunj16
I actually reported this problem to Sidefx and they gave me a solution. Just wanted to update so people who stumblr upon this thread can have some hope. I updated all my drivers to the latest and it didn't really help but I uninstalled and re-installed to QT4 version instead of the latest. It started working smoothly. So there you go. Try QT4 if it doesn't work for you on production build.
cwarns
I'm getting the same issue. @hyunj16 i installed the QT4 version but no such luck.

Does this problem still exist for others?

-c
hyunj16
Did you try installing the latest driver of your gpu?
cwarns
Unfortunately, yes. no such luck.
i have V.399.24 on a gtx 1080
hyunj16
I have Alienware R5 with GTX 1080 too. =T I'll keep searching for a solution. Have you tried reaching out to Sidefx.com? In the meanwhile, you can contact them about the issue. What they will ask you is to save out a file generated from Houdini and send it to them. (Help -> About Houdini -> click on “Show Details”. Click the "save” button at the bottom)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.