Search - User list
Full Version: GUI Question - Color Tabs, etc?
Root » Houdini Lounge » GUI Question - Color Tabs, etc?
HM_2020
Is it possible to do this any way in Houdini?

Would be nice to have the ability to color code tabs as you see fit?  

Cheers!
Alexey Vanzhula
It is not possible
malexander
You can turn on “Color pane headers with Network Contents” to shade the pane tab itself, but you can't specify the color, nor does it color the entire pane. Edit > Prefs > General UI.
tamte
this is a great idea, I wouldn't mind a possibility to slightly tint tabs of an asset, could make complex assets like rigs more readable
toonafish
Yes, please !

I've been looking for something like this for a long time. At least make it possible to highlight selected TAB's. It's so hard to see what TAB's are currently opened. There's only this tiny little single pixel line that is highlighted.

The Houdini GUI could really use some attention, it feels like I traveled 20 years back in time.

R.
animatrix_
Hi,

You could achieve (hack) this using Qt, by getting a Qt handle to the parameters pane and then either draw an outline or a transparent overlay that's pass-through to keyboard and mouse inputs so you can click through as if it didn't exist. You would define your own set of colors by specifying operator type -> tab name, etc.

It wouldn't be very easy though.

Here is a similar example that creates an outline for a locked camera that only shows up if the current view is locked which is much easier to create of course.

SESI's Qt integration opens up a lot of doors!

Andr
It would be very useful, do you have an RFE number for this? I'd like support it.

Also, in this regard, I think it would be very helpful to have custom colors for the slider of the parameters. (and be able to set the with python)

Imagine a slider for a float parm that goes from white to black.
Or if you want to implement a custom cache manager, you could set the slider color green for cached data, and red data to cook.
Soothsayer
Make that a complete Houdini window colorability! It sounds like a joke but it would be genuinely helpful. I've more than once had several shots open only to work on the wrong one. Or open an old file to check something and then close the wrong one. Or killing the wrong houdini session. I'd be nice to differentiate between them more easily. I know we can read the file name at the top but when there's something like show/dep/subdep/user/seq/shot/folder/folder/yourstarsign/type/version/showname_seq_shot_dep_elem_version_product.hip it gets confusing quickly

Oh, and with a pid too!
vinyvince
tamte
this is a great idea, I wouldn't mind a possibility to slightly tint tabs of an asset, could make complex assets like rigs more readable

I second that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.