How many lifetimes have been wasted on deleting the File node?

1539   5   0
833 posts
(Warning — this post contains humor)

Steve Jobs once said “Well, let's say you can shave 10 seconds off of the boot time. Multiply that by five million users and thats 50 million seconds, every single day. Over a year, that's probably dozens of lifetimes. So if you make it boot ten seconds faster, you've saved a dozen lives. That's really worth it, don't you think?”

9 times out of 10, when I look at Houdini tutorials, the first thing that they do is create a Geometry node immediately followed by deleting the File node.

I have to wonder how many lifetimes of hitting the delete button could have been saved if the Geometry node didn't automatically create a File node?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
2036 posts
It's a good point..but the irony of it is in my case…right now I'm working on a project where I'm using alot of sim and bgeo data and the opposite would be true if there was no file node….

“How much time would be saved if I didn't have to lay down a file node everytime”.

It just might be that for independents like yourself or me…that yes we do delete that node more often than not.

But perhaps in production houses where many different streams of data are created for projects, that SideFX was thinking in that direction to add a small aid of prepping for many ‘import’ operations.
Staff
5156 posts
BabaJ
It's a good point..but the irony of it is in my case…right now I'm working on a project where I'm using alot of sim and bgeo data and the opposite would be true if there was no file node…

You'll probably be a lot happier with the = hotkey in the network editor (Add File Operator). Pops open a file browser and you can pick as many files as you like, and it'll create an object for each. Only restriction is that they all need to be in the same directory - otherwise you just have to do multiple Add File Operator operations. Still a lot easier than adding Geometry objects and diving down to the file node manually though.
8521 posts
BabaJ
“How much time would be saved if I didn't have to lay down a file node everytime”.

the truth is that neither guys in tutorials nor you have to compromise
as you could always do TAB/File on object level too even if Geometry didn't contain File or use twod's suggestion

and they can always do

TAB/Sphere, TAB/Box, TAB/Alembic, … on Object level for 99% of the cases you see in those tutorials instead of

TAB/Geometry + Delete + TAB/Sphere, which simply seems redundand

so in the end whether Geometry contains File or not, it's more a matter of workflow, whether it's a hindrance or advantage or not a big deal
Edited by tamte - Aug. 23, 2018 15:23:33
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
2036 posts
Haha…I guess devs read this thread for H17
833 posts
I saw that! Thank goodness for the little things!!!
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links