Physics Painter

3011   4   0
190 posts
I tried to use the physics painter on a HeightField that was converted to polygons, but I'm having trouble.
The scattered objects appear at the bottom of the base of the geometry.
Setting the Surface Offset to a very high number, say 100, the objects do appear above the surface, but that's not easy to work with, as the sims needs to get the objects down to the ground for a 100 meters making the objects bounce around like crazy.

I have the impression this tool is not intended for use with bigger “groundplanes” because using a 10x10 grid with a mountain sop on it makes it work just like it should.
Or is there a way to make the Surface Offset a bit more user friendly. I'd like to paint say 3 meters above the ground, not at least a 100.
Edited by RudiNieuwenhuis - Sept. 10, 2018 15:20:32
197 posts
Could you send me an example hip I could look at?

Thanks,
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
190 posts
I dove into the tool (great you keep it editable!) and found the problem. The issue is the convex vs concave settings in dopnet2. It's set to convex making the guide geo go from mountain peak to mountain peak and thus the objects need to be above the mountain peaks.

Setting it to Concave fixes it but introduces heavy wiggling in the sim. Will try to fix it and let you know.

The concave messes up the initial “keeping dynamic objects apart feature”.
Would it be possible to set the convex/concave per object? The “mountain” would need to be concave, and the objects could be convex.
Edited by RudiNieuwenhuis - Sept. 10, 2018 15:36:28
190 posts
Here's a simple hip with bullet set to concave.
Edited by RudiNieuwenhuis - Sept. 10, 2018 16:35:03

Attachments:
physicsPainterSop.hip (609.6 KB)

197 posts
Hi,

Thank you for the file. I will look into it soon and get back to you.
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
  • Quick Links