Search - User list
Full Version: Displace Bound
Root » Technical Discussion » Displace Bound
johnnyreno
Hi there,

I've been working with the Lava VOP tutorial for a while and was hoping that somebody could elaborate on the part where Peter discusses the “displace bound” parameter. I can get it to work with the example in the tutorial just fine, but I'm having the “displacement cracking” issue with my own model and shader. I'm using a much subtler displacement than the tutroial but the displace bound parameter is having no influence on the cracking. Any ideas? (nvidia 900xgl quadro card)
stevenong
Hi there,

Is it possible for you to post your hipnc file somewhere to be downloaded? Or please send me a private message & we can arrange something.

Cheers!
steven
stevenong
Hi there,

After looking at your file, the displace problem you're having is due to the displace1 VOPnet. You connected the BumpNoise VOP's output to the nN input of the Burlap VOP. I can't say it's wrong but you're feeding already displaced normals to another displacement which will give unpredictable results.

I would suggest adding both dispP outputs then connecting the result to the Output node. The same goes for dispN outputs. Please note that positive values for the Burlap's height parameter will cause the geometry to “shrink”(displace inward) so you might want to use a negative value instead.

As for the displace bound, you can set it to the maximum height value of both VOPs with the following expression:

max ( abs(ch(“/vex/displace1/bumpnoise1/height”)) , abs(ch(“/vex/displace1/burlap1/height”)) )

Basically, the expression compares both VOPs' height values & returns the greater value.

Another suggestion I have is to increase the Shading Quality of the geometry. The current value of 1 is good enough for most renders however the displace details are not showing up very well. Please try a value of 1.2 or higher.

Another thing I noticed is the camera is set to be “Orthographic”. Is that what you want? If it is not, then try setting it to be “Perspective”.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
johnnyreno
Thank You Steven,

Your suggestions were an immense help; there is now way I would have figured out some of that stuff on my own. You're doing a great job…
stevenong
johnnyreno
Thank You Steven,
You're welcome!

Your suggestions were an immense help; there is now way I would have figured out some of that stuff on my own. You're doing a great job…
You'll figure things out on your own sometimes.

BTW, keep up the good work with your hip file. It's looking good!

Cheers!
steven
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.