Resample Curve still show previous amount of points?

3179   12   1
408 posts
Not sure what i'm doing different than previous times. I'm resampling a curve to a lower amount of points, and for some strange reason, although i can see the smoother / simpler curve, the larger amount of points from before that resample node is still showing and being treated as the curent geo in my scene. It just won't commit the new curve down in my network. Any idea why please?

Cheers,

A
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 14, 2018 13:03:06

Attachments:
Points.JPG (107.3 KB)

408 posts
In other simpler words, why am i getting the old curve and the new resample curve out of the node instead of just the resampled curve please?

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 14, 2018 13:40:01
2038 posts
Maybe just create a new scene view and delete the old one.
Staff
3455 posts
you have ends1 displayed and resample1 selected
this will show the result of both

this is controled with a preference: Edit > Preferences > Objects and Geometry: Default Geometry Display
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
408 posts
goldfarb
you have ends1 displayed and resample1 selected
this will show the result of both

this is controled with a preference: Edit > Preferences > Objects and Geometry: Default Geometry Display

Thanks a lot for helping, but i'm afraid it's not that simple. As you can see there is actual geometry / points left from the geometry prior to be resampled “and” the resampled curve is also present. All points from both the original and resampled geometry are selectable and editable. So it's not a display issue.

I also tried with a draw curve and resampled it and that issue does not occur. So it's something to do with my geometry, but i can not figure out what it is. As you can see in the second pic i'm not doing anything real crazy in that network. Just a grid with attribute from map, i delete all point with Cd inferior at 0,001 (mostly black), then remove shared edges, unroll with an ends node, and i resample the poly curve (edges) i'm left with. And yet, although it does create the resample curve it also leave sthe original points behind. It's even more obvious when i put a polywire in there.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 14, 2018 16:11:07

Attachments:
resampled.JPG (76.5 KB)
Poly.JPG (152.5 KB)

2038 posts
I also tried with a draw curve and resampled it and that issue does not occur. So it's something to do with my geometry, but i can not figure out what it is.

At first glance I was originally going to say what Michael said and tried an example like you just said, but didn't have the issue you did.

Which is why I said try creating a new window. But it could also be you might need to do a number of other things;

Like delete and re-create the same nodes.

Houdini, at least on my system can sometimes just get “locked” into a certain way of displaying. It can be quit annoying if it persists and I have to do many things at random before it finally clears up. And it's not always the same order of ‘operations’ to clear up the issue;

Like, create new scene view, delete/re-create node, close/re-open client, etc.

Sometimes, it's probably better to just leave it alone if it doesn't affect the final outcome.

One of those things too that can't always be replicated and sent in for bug report.
8538 posts
as you say the problem may be with your geo, can you post bgeo of your geo before resample?

also for the setup you are doing you may be able to use Trace SOP instead of the whole attribfrom map, delete, divide, etc.
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
408 posts
BabaJ
I also tried with a draw curve and resampled it and that issue does not occur. So it's something to do with my geometry, but i can not figure out what it is.

Houdini, at least on my system can sometimes just get “locked” into a certain way of displaying. It can be quit annoying if it persists and I have to do many things at random before it finally clears up. And it's not always the same order of ‘operations’ to clear up the issue;
One of those things too that can't always be replicated and sent in for bug report.

I thought at first it was probably some ghosting geometry, i've had that a few times, quite annoying, and restarting Houdini usually fixes it. But nope, i can edit those point passed the resample node so…

Thanks for helping.

Cheers,

A.
408 posts
tamte
as you say the problem may be with your geo, can you post bgeo of your geo before resample?

also for the setup you are doing you may be able to use Trace SOP instead of the whole attribfrom map, delete, divide, etc.

Thanks for the tip, inded the traceSop can help for some bits, but this was the start of my network, didn't get passed that issue yet. I atttached the file and one of pics of the sequences i'm using in there.

Thanks a lot, Tomas.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 14, 2018 21:19:17

Attachments:
BackLit_VOlume_01_Test.hiplc (1.4 MB)
EDIT_V02_KEYED_OUT_02249.png (3.9 MB)

2038 posts
Yeah…copied out your jpg into photoshop…saved it out as jpeg…then imported it in your ‘attribfrommap1_dancer_Keyed_out’ Attribute From Map node, of your hip.

Put display flag on and selected node as in your original post pic problem.

As you see here, I don't have the same issue.

Attachments:
Dancer-Redone.jpg (242.7 KB)

408 posts
BabaJ
Yeah…copied out your jpg into photoshop…saved it out as jpeg…then imported it in your ‘attribfrommap1_dancer_Keyed_out’ Attribute From Map node, of your hip.

Put display flag on and selected node as in your original post pic problem.

As you see here, I don't have the same issue.

Thanks a lot, i exported the sequence as Jpeg and it does indede fix the issue. Does it mean PNGs have to be avoided for such tasks or am i using a wrong compression format? Either way thanks again. Happilly moving on to the next steps.

Cheers,

A.
8538 posts
it's not about file format, but quite contrary, PNGs are perfectly fine and better than JPGs as they are loseless and hold alpha

it's mainly following:
1. the code removepoint(0, @ptnum);as that will remove points but keeps the primitives and each gets resampled with at least one point so hence the messy geo
use removepoint(0, @ptnum, 1);instead

2. you have keyed out png with alpha, but using color instead, which is not as clean, read the alpha from the image instead

I'd still try Trace SOP as it never hurts to have an alternative, potentially easier approach
Edited by tamte - Sept. 17, 2018 00:19:50
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
408 posts
tamte
it's not about file format, but quite contrary, PNGs are perfectly fine and better than JPGs as they are loseless and hold alpha

it's mainly following:
1. the code removepoint(0, @ptnum);as that will remove points but keeps the primitives and each gets resampled with at least one point so hence the messy geo
use removepoint(0, @ptnum, 1);instead

2. you have keyed out png with alpha, but using color instead, which is not as clean, read the alpha from the image instead

I'd still try Trace SOP as it never hurts to have an alternative, potentially easier approach

Thanks again. yes, that sequence was roughly keyed out, i was still working on cleaning up the matte. I have no artifacts in the new one and indeed worked with a permanent alpha preview on the side.

I didn't know about the removepoint matter, thanks for that. ALthough i don't need it anymore because following your advise i indeed switched to the trace SOP and only using attribute from map to bring in some colors.

As mentioned I have switched to the trace SOP in conjunction with COPs, which does a much cleaner job that my previous method obviously. Now trying to figure out a way to make that work with a Foreach / loop to create a bunch of traced outlines with different tracing threshholds in one go… at the opposite of my current method where i have to duplicate a large amount of COPS and Trace SOPs.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 17, 2018 00:36:00

Attachments:
trace1.JPG (288.9 KB)

• Quick Links