Conveyor belt physics won't work, help!

2310   2   1
6 posts
Hi everyone!

I've been using Houdini for less than a month so please bear with me. I'm working on a procedural conveyor belt that is being used as a digital asset by several people in a big Houdini dynamics project for school. The conveyor belt itself works almost perfectly on SOP level, it has sliders for offset, speed and number of wheels and I'm pretty happy with it so far:

The problems arise once I start to bring physics into the picture. When I turn it into a deforming static object and drop an RBD object on it, the object bounces uncontrollably instead of moving along the belt. I tried adjusting the friction and bounce without any result. Using a different sweep with a more even surface as collider didn't work either:

I was hoping somebody could help me with this. It has been quite frustrating.

Kind regards,
Victor Frerichs

Attachments:
lopendeband.hipnc (836.2 KB)

192 posts
hi victor. perhaps you would get better results if you built the dop collision object as discrete transforming segments rather than a solid chunk of deforming geo. if you build these segments with the ‘copy to points’ sop with ‘pack and instance’ enabled, the ‘rbd packed object’ dop interprets this geometry very efficiently.

here's an example.

Image Not Found

p.s. your procedural model is very cool!
Edited by brianBurke - Oct. 1, 2018 20:19:52

Attachments:
bb_conveyor_physics.hip (293.8 KB)

6 posts
Hi Brian,

It works perfectly! Thank you very much!
  • Quick Links