Search - User list
Full Version: A few questions about picking up Houdinifx!
Root » Houdini Lounge » A few questions about picking up Houdinifx!
blbrown2
Hi everyone, I have a few questions/seeking some advice. I’m fairly new to 3D modeling, Motion Graphics and VFX. I started using Cinema 4D and have been slowly learning and came across Houdini and what it can offer. To be honest, it looks amazing! Should I be looking to develop a more concrete background in this field before adding Houdini to my tool set, or is it okay to jump right in?
goldfarb
Houdini Apprentice is free and can do everything that HoudiniFX can do - so I'd say grab Apprentice and see how you like it.
r-cite
This book here is free of charge and has helped me a lot https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/houdini-foundations-book/ [www.sidefx.com] as well as https://www.sidefx.com/learn/ [www.sidefx.com]

Enjoy.
Midphase
blbrown2
Should I be looking to develop a more concrete background in this field before adding Houdini to my tool set, or is it okay to jump right in?

Prepare yourself for a decent amount of frustration at first as you try to wrap your head around the simple stuff. Houdini is somewhat unusual in the sense that some things that are relatively simple to accomplish in other apps like Maya or C4D can be quite difficult to achieve at first, while things that are considered highly advanced can actually be accomplished very easily with Shelf Tools.

It's a fun ride, but it's not for everyone!
Konstantin Magnus
I am personally more convinced of learning the basics properly in a more accessible program
and then - when you know what things should look like - switch to automating procedures in Houdini.
jsmack
I have never used much of any 3d software other than Houdini/Prisms. I found software other than Houdini to be too difficult to learn. Learning other software first will train your brain to think of 3d concepts in terms native to that package and will not help you to learn to solve problems the Houdini way. I suggest starting with Houdini, so you can learn the right way first–be a Houdini native–rather than to try learn some other way and try to figure out how to recreate it in Houdini, which might not have an efficient way to emulate a process you have learned in another software.
BabaJ
rather than to try learn some other way and try to figure out how to recreate it in Houdini

This is an important point to me. Unless your very good at droping expectations/workflows of what your learned in one package when you move to another package, this could possibly be your biggest frustration/obstacle in learning the new software.

I only say this from my experience of moving from Solidworks(which other than a brief exploration with Blender) was my first 3D software package of which I used for 3D printing.

When I lost access to SW, I had to look at another package in order to continue 3D printing, so chose Rhino.

Of which I stopped using and as a consequence stopped my 3d printing hobby because I was so put off on not being able to do the same workflow.

It's not that Rhino was bad or not capable, because it was more than capable for my needs; It was just that I saw it was almost like starting from scratch again.

I eventually in time with some fits and starts finally hunkered down and went through with it grudgingly in setting up a workflow to get back into 3D printing(before I was aware of Houdini).

I could say more…but I guess the point is made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.