Vellum Rigid Wires

6581   6   1
9 posts
Is there any way to make vellum wires rigid and stiff? Its very easy and straightforward with Wire Solver, but now with vellum I can not reproduce that effect.
900 posts
hello, did you eventually manage to find a solution?
I m struggling with the very same problem.
Anybody can help?

I'm trying to set targetP and targetstiffness attributes, I tried to set the stiffness parm in the Vellum Constraint to a very huge number, but the non-pinned points of the string/hair keep falling down like they have no structure.

I remember that with pop grains you could make semi-rigid wires. How to do with Vellum?

any help super appreciated!
Edited by Andr - Nov. 10, 2018 20:50:04
35 posts
its quite frustrating yes

for me what helps is

upping substeps. but it makes it slower

and also, less points on the curve. If you have 100 points, it will flop around like it weighs 100kg. if you have 3 points, it's suddenly a .1gram light object

not sure why it works like that
Director at polycat studio
900 posts
substeps and resolution of the wire influence the stiffness indeed, but there should exist a specific attribute for it, like there is for the Wire Solver: it's the @targetstiffness attribute which “defines how strongly the wire resists deforming from the animated position”

Also, @targetstiffness can be used for Pop Grains too, so I really don't understand why we can't use it for Vellum as well, which is based on grains.

There must be something that we are missing about setting up the point attributes for Vellum?

*EDIT*

I was probably making some confusion.
Regarding the stiffness you should modify the stiffness parameter under “Bend” in the vellumconstraints.
It seems that it doesn't read the per-point @targetstfiffness attribute, and it's more an overall general stiffness value for all the points. Am I right?

The main problem for me is that if you pin point 0, the wire fall down and pivot around its base pinned point , there's no angular constraint. So we must set somehow the angular constraint I guess?
Edited by Andr - Nov. 11, 2018 12:12:03
900 posts
For the "too long, didn't read" people:
If I want to make some grass with Vellum (just splines, no polygons), how do I do?
Edited by Andr - Nov. 11, 2018 12:13:17
7737 posts
Andr
substeps and resolution of the wire influence the stiffness indeed, but there should exist a specific attribute for it, like there is for the Wire Solver: it's the @targetstiffness attribute which “defines how strongly the wire resists deforming from the animated position”

Vellum does not use attributes on the geometry in this way. Only constraint geometry affects the simulation stiffness. For a simple attach to animation constraint, add a ‘Pin to Target’ constraint using the vellum constraints node. To make the constraint soft, change the type to ‘Soft’, and adjust the stiffness of the constraint. If the target position is animated, the ‘Match Animation’ checkbox needs to be toggled.
Edited by jsmack - Nov. 11, 2018 12:54:33
900 posts
Thanks Jsmack, this is valuable information!
  • Quick Links