Render different ROPs successively

6431   6   2
14 posts
Hello guys,

sorry for this kind of stupid question:

Recently I was glad to find out that I can use different (Redshift) ROPs to render particular contents.
But what I don't understand is how I can render multiple ROPs consecutively, meaning that when ROP1 has finished, ROP2 starts automatically.

I know that there are fetch, batch or merge nodes, which should do the trick, but when I hit the render button of the merge node (see attached image) one of the two ROPs will be skipped.

Do you have any idea, what I'm doing wrong?

Thanx & best regards

PS: both ROPs render exactly as they should when I render them manually, so I can rule out issues within the ROPs

Attachments:
ROPs.JPG (147.0 KB)

603 posts
Hi,

To chain Redshift ROPs together, select all of them, and disable “Non-Blocking Single Frame Rendering”.

You dont have use a Merge node, you can simply chain them together and click Render on the last ROP in the chain.
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - Oct. 24, 2018 09:28:59
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
14 posts
Awesome, thank you very much for the tip, Daryl! I never would have found this little ‘trick’!
Cheers
115 posts
Jumping in here a bit late to the party…. I notice it will render a frame of each rop then the next frame and so on… Is this inefficient? I know if if it were softimage doing that it would definitely have an overhead.

Cheers,
A>
7755 posts
Andi Farhall
Jumping in here a bit late to the party…. I notice it will render a frame of each rop then the next frame and so on… Is this inefficient? I know if if it were softimage doing that it would definitely have an overhead.

Cheers,
A>

It depends on what type of rop and whether parts of the scene are reused by different rops. If your scene has parts that are animated and used by multiple rops, it makes sense to execute each rop on the same frame before moving on to the next frame as the scene data will still be in memory when executing the next rop. In the case of a simulation or when no parts are shared, or when the scene is generally trivial, it's often better to run each rop out fully before moving on to the next. There is a batch rop that enables this behavior.
Edited by jsmack - Aug. 1, 2019 22:50:28
385 posts
jsmack
Andi Farhall
Jumping in here a bit late to the party.... I notice it will render a frame of each rop then the next frame and so on... Is this inefficient? I know if if it were softimage doing that it would definitely have an overhead.

Cheers,
A>

It depends on what type of rop and whether parts of the scene are reused by different rops. If your scene has parts that are animated and used by multiple rops, it makes sense to execute each rop on the same frame before moving on to the next frame as the scene data will still be in memory when executing the next rop. In the case of a simulation or when no parts are shared, or when the scene is generally trivial, it's often better to run each rop out fully before moving on to the next. There is a batch rop that enables this behavior.

can you do the same with COP rops?
i am trying to do this in TOPs, but you need a different Fetch TOP for each COP Rop file output. Some sort of ROP output merge would be great like the batch you are talking about. ideally i would like to have one Fetch TOP which saves all textures one after the other for each frame without having to open different instances of Houdini for each texture. Saves up a lot of ram and cpu resources.
51 posts
how is this done with usdrender rops in solaris? These nodes have no output.
  • Quick Links