Needs some VEX Help

3844   3   2
53 posts
So bassicly, I have a scene where geometry is being colored by my image sequence (cops). Pretty simple just used the points sop to create the color from my image sets, now I was wonderring, how would I create a material to render the geometry, because if I launch a mantra render, I have nothing. Now in vex, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm following tutorials and stuff to get the hang of it, any help would sure be nice. thanks guys.

Anyone have any info about this?
53 posts
Bassicly, I have the gnomon houdini 101 interface dvd ( I also emailed them asking) and during the training, Garman uses a custom shader, which is ( i believe) derived from the VEX constant shader. Now he doesn't show how he created it, but theres a lighting model outputed to the color, and theres a diffuse parameter.

So i have a line sop which is being fed into a point sop, which has the add color mode enabled. the color is being grabbed from a null in my cops, my compositor, which has an image sequence, now If i render it, it's graysale, but I need the geometry to be colored like my image sequence (in my viewport its colored).

I really need some help on this one guys, all comments are welcome.
Staff
2540 posts
No need to dip in to VEX to get the point color attributes to render. Just use either the VEX Layered SHOP or the VEX SuperMatte SHOP. Both of those will pick up the point colors.

If you wanted to venture in to VOPs, here's the bare minimum to get geometry point colors out:

- create a vop network and change both the name and label to say constant_pt_color
- dive in the vop network
- Add a Parameter VOP.
- Change the name of the variable and label to Cd
- Change it to type color
- Toggle on the invisible flag.
- Wire the output to the output Cf tab.
- Jump to the SHOP network and tab add “constant_pt_color” shop.
- Apply shader and render away.

It is the parameter VOP that needs to have both the identical name as the geometry attribute (Cd in this case) and the correct type (vector or Color in this case). This means that any geometry attribute of type float or vector could be passed in to a shader simply by creating a parameter VOP with the identical attribute name and type.

You could wire this in to the diff of a Lighting Model VOP if you wanted to loop through the lights.

You could multiply this Cd parameter VOP with another parameter VOP called say diff for diffuse color and wire the result in to a Lighting Model VOP.
There's at least one school like the old school!
53 posts
omg that was awsome. thank you.
  • Quick Links