Search - User list
Full Version: HOUDINI_PATHMAP mixed environment, not always working?
Root » Technical Discussion » HOUDINI_PATHMAP mixed environment, not always working?
Tronotrond
I'm trying to set up at working pipeline in a mixed environment, and the closest thing I can find to a good solution on absolute paths is the HOUDINI_PATHMAP.
I've set this up in the houdini.env to translate windows UNC paths to Linux mounted drives, but it doesn't seem to capture everything. Like sending a simulation job with output set to //server/share/file, the file cache seems to ignore the pathmap.

Intentional, bug? Or anyone got some advice here?
I do have a lot of variables defined to avoid absolute paths names, but it's so easy to miss one. I'm trying to make the setup that is a bit more fail-safe.
achtstudio
I have a similar problem. We are using a mixed environment with Win10 workstations and a linux rendernode.
It seems like the HOUDINI_PATHMAP doesn't pick up all paths even when using fullpaths instead of $JOB or $HIP

Thinkbox Deadline support even suggested never using $JOB as according to them its not affected by HOUDINI_PATHMAP.

It would be great to know how to work with pathmapping in mixed environments in a streamlined way.
Using fullpaths on all nodes isn't really a clean thing.

Do we need a pre-submission script to get this to run?
pepemaracas
Hey! Did anyone find a solution to this?

Cheers!
Tronotrond
pepemaracas

Cheers!
I have my solution working now, but I use a mix of tricks. I've set up my own variables ($ASSETS, $RND etc) on all computers in the Houdini.env file, mapping correctly on the local system.
Secondly, I added houdini_pathmap to the Linux Environment variables. That takes care of $JOB and most other variables.
Last I checked, it did not translate the output path in for example a Redshift ROP, and RS has it's own path mapping variables you can set up. It's a bit of a mess, so I just stick to my own $RND instead of relying on $JOB for render outputs.

Hope that helps!
Angel Fucaraccio
Tronotrond
pepemaracas

Cheers!
I have my solution working now, but I use a mix of tricks. I've set up my own variables ($ASSETS, $RND etc) on all computers in the Houdini.env file, mapping correctly on the local system.
Secondly, I added houdini_pathmap to the Linux Environment variables. That takes care of $JOB and most other variables.
Last I checked, it did not translate the output path in for example a Redshift ROP, and RS has it's own path mapping variables you can set up. It's a bit of a mess, so I just stick to my own $RND instead of relying on $JOB for render outputs.

Hope that helps!

Hi. Can you give tell me what variables you set in the windows 10 environment? If I understand correctly, you are adding variables in the system environment variables, right? If so, what variables are you adding?
Tronotrond
Angel Fucaraccio
Tronotrond
pepemaracas

Cheers!

Hope that helps!

Hi. Can you give tell me what variables you set in the windows 10 environment? If I understand correctly, you are adding variables in the system environment variables, right? If so, what variables are you adding?

You add a new environment variable HOUDINI_PATHMAP
The content should be { “old_path1”: “new_path1”, “old_path2”: “new_path2” }

Here's a snipped from the help file. Now, I do see this is for the Linux Environment, and if it's the same as the houdini.env file, you might have to replace the colon with semi-colons. I would try both to see what works. I wish SideFX could clarify this one.

HOUDINI_PATHMAP

This string defines multiple mappings represented as a Python-style dictionary. Mappings can map one directory to another directory. The key is the directory to map and the value represents the destination directory. For example:

{ "c:/temp": "/tmp", "/mnt/render": "//storage/share/render" }
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.