RFE: Copy SOP custom variables mappings

3986   4   2
581 posts
Hi SESI.
I was playing with the Copy SOP, and trying to use some custom variable mapping I have in the geometry to be copied I ahve realized that I can't use this variable mappings into the Copy SOP node.
Basically I am copying some geometry to a template geometry, and In the geometry to be copied, the geo in the first operator entry, I have some custom variables mapped to some custom attributes.
the problem is that seems that all the custom variable mapping seems to not be enabled in the Copy SOP, so I can't use this variables for example in my stamped parameters.
I think that it would be very useful to have this stuff enabled in the Copy SOP operator.
This is the discussion in Odforce about this:
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4250&pid=28851&st=0&#entry28851 [odforce.net]

Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Yes, the Copy SOP itself can only access it's own local variables or those from the left input, not the right template input.

As was mentioned on the OdForce thread, yes you can override some or all of the default variables in the template input and use those to do your work.

Now what is it you are trying to do? If you are manipulating point or primitive attributes, it may be much faster to do this after the Copy SOP and avoid stamping for some of the things you are trying to do.
The Primitive SOP is quite powerful after a copy operation working on attributes passed over in the copy SOP. Quite powerful and substantially faster than stamping…
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
Thanks jeff, I am making a very simple crowd effect.
The problem is that I use a variable in the right side to control what geometry to copy.
I have some attributes in the right side that tells me some info about the animation cycles I have to be able to swicth between the different poses, this is the reason because I access to variables from the right hand in the copy stamping parameters.
I am sure that I can do it in a different way, maybe CHOPS, but at the moment is my first attempt and I have found this problem.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
It looks like you need to use copy stamp to do what you want.

You can use the point() expression to index in to your attribute to get what you want. Use $PT, $TPT, or $ID depending to index in to the point data just like Rob P. on the odforce thread mentioned in one of his posts.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
jeff
It looks like you need to use copy stamp to do what you want.

You can use the point() expression to index in to your attribute to get what you want. Use $PT, $TPT, or $ID depending to index in to the point data just like Rob P. on the odforce thread mentioned in one of his posts.
Thanks jeff this is the technique I am using at the moment, point() instead of variables.
The problem is again, $PT, $ID only works for the template geo, not fo rthe geo to be copied. Th eproblem is to access to info from the geo to be copied.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links