Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini 17.0 on Windows throwing "OpenCL Exception: clCreateProgramWithSource (-34)" error [SOLVED]
Root » Technical Discussion » Houdini 17.0 on Windows throwing "OpenCL Exception: clCreateProgramWithSource (-34)" error [SOLVED]
beny
Hello,

I'm sharing it here since I had a pain in the bottom with solving this one half of the morning.

Basically whenever I ran Vellum sim on my Windows 8.1 laptop I got an error “OpenCL Exception: clCreateProgramWithSource (-34)” in Houdini Console and the sim did not run. I googled for an answer and found similar problems OpenCL related. My Houdini help showed “No Configured OpenCL Device”. I tried setting multiple env variables like HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICENUMBER=1 (0 -too),
HOUDINI_OCL_VENDOR=“Intel(R) Corporation”, HOUDINI_OCL_VENDOR=“NVIDIA Corporation” , HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE=CPU etc.

Ok - to the point - my solution was:
1. Edit the settings file "C:\Users\\Documents\houdini17.0\houdini.env“
2. Add this line anywhere ”HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE=GPU“.

DONE! So simple, yet very frustrating when you don't know it.

ps. For newer Houdini users - easy way to test if things work is to use Houdini Command Line Tools and run command ”hgpuinfo -c“. If it lists your device it means it works. If it throws something like: ”Could not create OpenCL device of type (HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE): GPU (…)" means it won't work.

Cheers,
Beny
pgarram
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
milanvandamme
Thank you! This fixed it for me in version 17.5.425.
gleaces
Thank you sooo much. This fixed the error in 18.0.499
ImposingDragon
非常感谢。这修复了18.0.499中的错误
beny
One more thing - when you had everything working and suddenly node like “Attribute Blur” SOP (or any other OTL using OpenCL SOP inside) throws similar error for you, I noticed that in most cases when you restart Houdini the error goes away. If not, try the above solution.
Pixel Sharma
Hello, just writing to say thank you! I was stuck and probably would have spent half the morning figuring this out too if it weren't for this. Thank you so much for sharing your solution! You're awesome.
edward
I've been just changing this in the main preferences these days. From the main menu, Edit > Preferences > Miscellaneous > OpenCL Device.
Valent
Thank you sooo much! Houdini 19.0.622
pkmet
Thank you - Houdini 19.5.303 - also helped
(mystery for me is that it worked yesterday, but this morning a wanted to edit project and openCL Expection appiered) - Thanks man
mwstandsfor
I'm on 19.5.303 as well and I'm also getting the error. In the preferences menu I changed it to the correct GPU as well. Getting fewer errors but now I'm getting
"OpenCL Exception: clCreateImage3D (-40)" error.
omarz
mwstandsfor
I'm on 19.5.303 as well and I'm also getting the error. In the preferences menu I changed it to the correct GPU as well. Getting fewer errors but now I'm getting
"OpenCL Exception: clCreateImage3D (-40)" error.
Can you please log a bug with an example scene (preferrably as simple as possible)? This one is not a generic OpenCL issue, and we'll have to investigate what's causing it. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.