Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini, MacOS and eGPU?
Root » Houdini Lounge » Houdini, MacOS and eGPU?
EigenAlex
Hello.

I've been skimming the Lounge for some info regarding Houdini and Mac eGPU, so far haven't quite found it…

Does H17 currently work fine with eGPU on MacOS?
In particular, I've been thinking about getting a MacBook Pro 13' + eGPU combo, but not sure if this set up will work just fine with Houdini. Or will I just have to go with MacBook Pro 15' with Vega?

PS: I am not doing anything production heavy, but still just wanted the portability of a 13in laptop (which unfortunately it's integrated graphics card sucked, far as I know)

Thanks!
malexander
I have heard that it works, but can't confirm this myself as I don't have an eGPU enclosure.
filipw
I work with 15 + vega64 in a razer core. It works fine.
/F
cgbeige
Just note that if you want to have the EGPU used for OpenCL operations, you need to set it in the Miscellaneous options in the Houdini prefs and relaunch. It will use that GPU from then on
EigenAlex
Thank you for all the head's up!
benek
I've been working fine in H17 with the following…

iMac Pro
Sonnet breakaway 550
1080 TI

iMac 5k
Akito Node Pro
Titan V

In both cases I ran the macOS-eGPU script found on egpu.io… Only thing to point out is that this won't work on Mojave. Not feeling too confident right now about how much future there is for Nvidia gpu/egpu on the Mac platform…
Midphase
benek
Not feeling too confident right now about how much future there is for Nvidia gpu/egpu on the Mac platform…

Supposedly Apple/AMD have an exclusivity deal which expires in January. Just a rumor but you never know. But for the time being, it's best to stick with High Sierra, and ideally slightly older Nvidia web drivers since they seem more stable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.