Search - User list
Full Version: Terrain input not working in Unity 2018.2
Root » Houdini Engine for Unity » Terrain input not working in Unity 2018.2
MartinBaadsgaard
Hey there. It does not appear to be possible to input terrain with the newest HEU (16.5.656) in Unity 2018.2, I get the error

No input interface found for gameobject: Terrain. Skipping upload!
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarningFormat(String, Object)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_InputUtility:CreateInputNodeWithMultiObjects(HEU_SessionBase, Int32, Int32&, List`1&, List`1&, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Utility/HEU_InputUtility.cs:205)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_InputNode:UploadInput(HEU_SessionBase) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_InputNode.cs:304)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_Parameters:UploadValuesToHoudini(HEU_SessionBase, HEU_HoudiniAsset, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Parameters/HEU_Parameters.cs:986)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:InternalStartRecook(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:1181)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:RecookBlocking(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:989)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:RequestCook(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:649)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAssetUI:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Editor/UI/HEU_HoudiniAssetUI.cs:226)
UnityEngine.GUIUtilityrocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

But I have noticed that all the features for terrain in the docs are aimed at the terrain in Unity 2018.3
Is the newest HEU version only compatible with the still-beta 2018.3 version of Unity?
seelan
It should work if the input object is a GameObject with a Terrain Component. The warning you pasted leads me to believe that the Terrain input script wasn't registered with the input utility.

Have you tried restarting Unity? It should register the terrain input script when the Editor is loaded, or when scripts are recompiled. Maybe something got mangled.

If that doesn't work, could you uncomment the Debug.Log line 77 in Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Utility/HEU_InputInterfaceTerrain.cs? Save it, then in Editor after the scripts are reloaded, do you get any log starting with: "Registered …"?

Note that the Unity terrain currently supported by the plugin is pre 2018.3., so 2018.2 terrain should work.
seelan
Actually, I am seeing that on Editor load, it is not registering those scripts. I'll fix it today.
MartinBaadsgaard
Sounds good, thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how come the screenshots and functionality in the documentation are from the 2018.3 terrain? With the individual layers and such.
Is that for future implementation? Is there a timeframe for that? We are upgrading relatively soon to 2018.3.
seelan
Those layers correspond to the splat maps, which are created from Houdini's heightfield layers, so hence the name. Also the UI is just exposing the underlying terrain splat maps to the top-level plugin UI. Nothing to do with 2018.3 terrain really, and its somewhat of a coincidence that it seems similar.
MartinBaadsgaard
Oh I get it, yea funny coincidence that there is a kind of 1:1 relationship.
Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.