Transfer UVs in world space to remeshed object?

973   0   0
99 posts
I am running sims on a tree model. The original tree was too hi-res to simulate, so I had to run Clean and Remesh to reduce its poly count a little bit. It still proved too oddly-modeled to run a point deform on the original based on the sim, but the sim'd model is still high-poly enough so we're going to use it as the final.

What I need to do is transfer the UVs, in world space, from the original model to the down-res'd sim'd model. I tried using Maya's Transfer Attributes, which does exactly what I need, but choked on the source model's size. How can I do this in Houdini? (I know there will be some changes, but those should be mostly in the little tiny branches that are okay to lose, and this is not a hero tree.)

I assume it will be something like storing the original models' point positions and then somehow applying those points to the end result of the sim'd/cached model, at which point I could do a straight attribute transfer (and although I get this theory I don't know the steps required), or is there a better way (and if not, how would I do my suggested way)?

Thanks so much!
  • Quick Links