Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini Engine Indie License Problems
Root » Houdini Engine for Unity » Houdini Engine Indie License Problems
Hendrik Voßkamp
Hey,
so I've tried almost all day and cannot find a solution online. Apologies if I am missing something obvious, I'm totally new to Houdini.

I've downloaded and installed Houdini Apprentice and imported the Houdini Engine for Unity, inside Unity. But when I try to import a Houdini Asset into Unity, I get the following Error message, in the Unity Console.

Houdini Engine: Cooking failed for asset:
HAPI Error: Non-commercial (Apprentice) assets not allowed with limited commercial (Indie) licenses.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HAPIUtilityrocessHoudiniCookStatus(HEU_SessionBase, String) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Core/HEU_HAPIUtility.cs:568)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:CreateAndCookAsset(HEU_SessionBase, Int32, Int32&, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:1777)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:InternalStartRecook(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:1092)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:RecookAsync(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:954)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:AssetUpdate() (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:543)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_AssetUpdater:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_AssetUpdater.cs:68)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Now this message makes me think that it is not possible to use the Apprentice version with Unity. But on https://www.sidefx.com/products/houdini-engine/plug-ins/unity-plug-in/ [www.sidefx.com] it states: “PLEASE NOTE: The Houdini Engine plug-ins do not work with FREE Houdini Apprentice. You should use the FREE Houdini Engine Indie instead.”

Now I thought my mistake was to install the Houdini Engine, and not the Indie Engine, but I cannot, for the life of me, find a download or isntallation for “Houdini Engine Indie”. In the Houdini Installer, it only shows the Houdini Unity Engine.
I am attaching Screenshots of my License Manager and the Houdini Engine window I get inside Unity.

I'd be incredibly grateful if anybody could help me out. I'd love to try out Houdini for Unity and see if it would be a fit for my company, since it looks very exciting.

Image Not Found

seelan
Here it is: https://www.sidefx.com/buy/#houdini-indie [www.sidefx.com]
Hendrik Voßkamp
Thank you for your reply Seelan. But that's where I got my version. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if I follow the instructions, I only get to the normal Houdini installer. (I actually tried it several times already , so I got the max. of 3 licenses already).

I do have the Houdini Engine Indie license already.

I am downloading the installer from here: https://www.sidefx.com/download/ [www.sidefx.com] which says taht it includes “Houdini Engine Indie”.
I have attached a Screenshot with the options in the installer. (No “Houdini Engine Indie”).

Thank you for your help.
seelan
Ok, I thought you hadn't installed Houdini Engine Indie.

Based on your first error, it sounds like you were trying to load an Apprentice-built asset into a commercial licensed Houdini Engine, which isn't allowed.

Could you instead try loading the Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/HDAs/Evergreen.otl in Unity? If that doesn't work, check your License Manager to make sure you have the Houdini Engine Indie license being used, and not the Apprentice or other licenses.
Hendrik Voßkamp
Hey Seelan,
I am using the Apprentice version, together with the Houdini Engine Indie license.

I tried loading the Evergreen.otl into Unity, but get following License Error:

Loading Asset Library From File : HAPI Error: No Valid Licenses Found
- HAPI_LICENSE_MODE unset or is set to ‘default’ meaning Houdini Engine will first try to acquire a Houdini Engine license and if one is not found it will try to acquire an interactive Houdini license (Houdini Core then Houdini FX).
- No Houdini Engine license found.
- No Houdini license.
- Found a Houdini FX (Houdini Master) license but it is not the required commercial variant.
- No Houdini Engine Indie license found.
- No Houdini Indie license.
If session is invalid, try restarting Unity.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_SessionBaseetSessionErrorMsg(String, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Sessions/HEU_SessionBase.cs:155)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_SessionHAPI:HandleStatusResult(HAPI_Result, String, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Sessions/HEU_SessionHAPI.cs:645)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_SessionHAPI:LoadAssetLibraryFromFile(String, Boolean, Int32&) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Sessions/HEU_SessionHAPI.cs:872)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:LoadAssetFileWithSubasset(HEU_SessionBase, Boolean, Int32) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:1695)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAssettartRebuild(Boolean, Int32) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:773)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAssetrocessRebuild(Boolean, Int32) (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:697)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_HoudiniAsset:AssetUpdate() (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_HoudiniAsset.cs:534)
HoudiniEngineUnity.HEU_AssetUpdater:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/Scripts/Asset/HEU_AssetUpdater.cs:68)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

______
- No Houdini Indie license. That seems to be the problem, right?
But I have installed the Houdini Engine Indie License, screenshots attached.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards
Hendrik
seelan
What does your License Manager show in terms of licenses? Sounds like you might have commercial and indie licenses being mixed? I'd also recommend restarting Unity after installing licenses, or even rebooting the computer just in case due to leftover sessions.
muxalko
Hello !
I recently stuck with the same “error”, which isn't actually an error IMO.
As it states here https://www.sidefx.com/buy/#houdini-indie:
"Your Houdini Engine Indie license can be used to run Houdini Indie in batch (non-graphical) mode …"

If I understand correctly:

1. There is Houdini Apprentice (free, limited to 30 days), actual editor, that allows you to create “non-commercial” assets.
2. There is Houdini Indie (not free, paid yearly), actual editor, that allows you to create “commercial” assets.
3. There is Houdini Engine Indie (free), which is a plugin that allows you to run #2 in third party 3D software (unity for example) in batch mode (non-graphical)to import and manipulate Houdini “commercial” assets.

So, there is no option to create an asset with Houdini Apprentice and get it to work in Houdini Engine Indie plugin inside Unity.
You either have to buy a commercial license, or find a way to convert your non-commercial assets into commercial ones.

Am I right ?

Thanks,
seelan
Yes, you are correct. You need a commercial license that generates your assets to use those assets via Houdini Engine plugin.
vlobanov
Hi! I've similar question so I'll post it here:
On “licensing” https://www.sidefx.com/docs/hengine/_h_a_p_i__licensing.html [www.sidefx.com] page in Engine docs it says “Indie license usage is limited to authorized plugins (Unity, Unreal, Maya, Max, C4D).”

Now, I have a purchased Houdini Indie license and would like to use Engine standalone to cook assets on demand by calling the C API. Does that mean I need to buy Houdini Engine license (499$) AND Houdini FX because paid Houdini Engine won't work with assets created in Indie version?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.