How do I group vellum particles made only on the current frame?

1383   2   0
31 posts
I looked online some people use the Just Born Group in the pop source which would work perfectly for me but the problem is that I'm using a vellum source which doesn't have that option. I just need to group the particles made new each frame and delete the rest. I don't know vex that well at all which is very limiting and annoying. So if any of you know a handy vex expression I could use in a pop group or something please feel free to share
76 posts
Hello,

Stumbled into this as well the other day. Not sure if this is the "correct" or best way to do this but I got it working by using a sop solver after a vellum source.

1. In the sop solver I initialize an age attribute along with the justborn group.
2. I then have a 2nd wrangle that accumulates the age every frame.
3. A third wrangle checks if the points have an age greater than 1 (also checks if the points are indeed in the justborngroup just to be safe) if so, turn off the justborn group.

One gotcha is that we need to make sure that we ONLY run this sop solver on each frame in case we have substeps, hence the gasintermittentsolve. Attaching a project file for you to check out.

Attachments:
vellum_justborn_v001.hiplc (450.3 KB)

4 posts
joakim-e
Hello,

Stumbled into this as well the other day. Not sure if this is the "correct" or best way to do this but I got it working by using a sop solver after a vellum source.

1. In the sop solver I initialize an age attribute along with the justborn group.
2. I then have a 2nd wrangle that accumulates the age every frame.
3. A third wrangle checks if the points have an age greater than 1 (also checks if the points are indeed in the justborngroup just to be safe) if so, turn off the justborn group.

One gotcha is that we need to make sure that we ONLY run this sop solver on each frame in case we have substeps, hence the gasintermittentsolve. Attaching a project file for you to check out.

Thanks Joakim, was exactly what i needed
  • Quick Links