would someone help me get static point numbers

801   2   0
40 posts
hiya guys,

back again after a while with a question, didn't need to cuz of the great help i got here. but got stuck again.

tried to google and search this forum but couldn't find anything usefull, so if you have a link to something it's also fine.

problem:

when i'm working on a project and i wan't to change something back in the beginning it messes up al the point number from that point in the project, making it 1 big mess.
like add another polysplit to a box, or do a polybevel earlyer in the project messes up everything behind it (like booleans or specific points selected to copy something to) because the point numbers get changed.

question:

is there a way to make the point numbers so that they keep their original number and new points just get add up to the rest ? or another solution for this issue ?

thanks in advance.
710 posts
There is no magic Houdini secret sauce that allows it to ignore point indexes. To build procedural model networks you should take care to group things procedurally. The Group SOPs (or wrangles) are your friend. If the operations in your SOPnet are working on specific points/primitives/edges/vertecies rather than groups, chances are they are a point of failure when something changes upstream.

This is part of the balancing act when deciding if or how procedural an asset should be. You can sink a lot of time into making sure it's robust and that it can accommodate different kinds of art direction changes.
40 posts
yeah i just got to a point again with the same problem, but then figured out if i group things in a different order it wont be a problem anymore. thanks for the answer anyways… keeps me thinking and figuring out in the correct direction and not try imposible things
  • Quick Links