How to import attribute from MAT context?

2977   4   2
48 posts
Hi,

I want to export an attribute from my MAT context with BindExport and use it in OBJ context, but my attribute comes with 0 value. To bring it into SOP I use Attribute VOP and inside it Bind and BindExport. Is there something I do wrong?
26 posts
Why would you need to export an attribute from the MAT context? The normal workflow is to bind attributes in the mat context from the geometry.Bind Exporting a variable from the mat context can be used from the Render Node with extra image plane, but as far as I know it cannot be brought to the geometry. And I really cannot think of a reason to do it, perhaps clarify a little what you want to achieve. You can look at the geometry spreadsheet to see what attributes you have on the geometry.
1391 posts
As Kaloyan said what you want to do, doesn't make sense !

Specially because of workflow, the shaders are executing on the rendertime on your geometries.

Even in theory you would get infinity loop !

Would be great if you let us know what are you looking for exactly with a reference or example !
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
48 posts
Thanks Kaloyan and Sadjad Rabiee for replies.

My main reason to bring attribute from MAT into SOP was to utilize Patterns. When I assign one of these patterns (Ramps, Checkered, so on) to my object it works perfectly (both directly onto the object and in Principled Shader), but I want to use these patterns as attributes in my SOP context.

I also tried patterns in VOP context, I guess they require some kind of input. But in MAT context they are rendered perfectly without any input.

Is there any direct and easier way to use these patterns as a part of the attribute on geometry?
1391 posts
Hi

All of the patterns in both Shader VOP and VOP Sop are need input, I didn't test them without input in shaders but if they are working there they may use uv or maybe global P as a input by default.

However using them inside the VOP SOP is so simple, according to what you want to do you can connect P or UV to their input.

For most of the case we are using P as input(e.g Noises) but if you need uv (e.g Texture files) you should build uv for your geometry (e.g with UV Project SOP) ,then use uv as a input of your pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
  • Quick Links