Anyone using VDB and specific surface buffer ?

821   3   1
8 posts
Hi,
I did not use VDB that much and I my main goal is to convert VDB with color information into poly with color.

I try a temporary pipeline that start from poly.

I set color on my primitive poly
I'm using the vdb from poly and ask for a volume attribute from my prim color attribute. The drop down menu enable me to setup the transfer very easily.
I can see the information and my node output contain 2 surfaces: surface & Cd
But then ?!? I know how to create a poly using the remesh node but is there any solution to get volume Cd information back ? For example making an attribute transfer ?
Unfortunately I fail in finding any solution to read info from the Cd & Surface VDB buffer and most of the regular “point” nodes did not access VDB buffer.
I'm wondering If need to work with Attribut VOP ? It's a Node I never play with…
Of course I don't want to attribute transfer from the original poly since I will not have this data information on a final prototype.
Please let me know any advise
Thanks,
FRED
8539 posts
you can use Attribute From Volume SOP, or Wrangle using volumesamplev() function or Attribute VOP with Volume Sample Vector VOP
all 3 examples in the file

Attachments:
attrib_from_volumed.hip (114.2 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8 posts
Thanks Tamte !

Will look at your hip file !
In the meanwhile, I try Vex Builder a little more and slowly began to see how it works
Have used one VolumeSample with success right now.
- filename input plug on my node OpInput 2 (VDBNode that contain Cd color surface)
- Select primitive Number as 2 (assuming this is the VDB channel index corresponding to VDB.Cd)
- VolumeSample Output plug to Output Cd input.
Only work on Point right now…
Will look at your file !

Next step will be “how to bake a texture depending on this VDB Color Attribute”
Will ask for help in I need it !

Thanks again !
FRED
8 posts
Basically I did the trick with Attribute VOP with Volume Sample Vector VOP which is the more complicated solution
Nice solution with vex and the attribute from volume !
Thanks
  • Quick Links