Connecting hda to another hda crashes maya

4623   3   0
47 posts
Hi,
when i connect output of one hda to an input of another, maya instantly crashes. Ive tried this with couple different hdas and i always get the same result. In unity connecting these assets work as expected.

Im on windows 10
Houdini 16.5.536
Maya2018.5

Thanks!
Kustaa
Edited by kustaa - Jan. 28, 2019 04:09:03
146 posts
It was working in 2018 gold - I will install Update 5, but I have a bad feeling about that - It crashes consistently in 2019, which is one of the reasons why there isn't a 2019 plugin out yet.

Julia.
47 posts
Thanks for the reply Julia!
Let me know if you find more about this.

K
146 posts
Autodesk has apparently fixed a bug locally in 2019 that was causing evaluation errors/crashes on connections on some elements of some compound attributes. However I have no information on whether this fix can be/will be backported to 2018, or when a patch/update may be available for 2019.

As a workaround, I have reordered some attributes, to fix two specific problems: the crash connecting assets, and incorrect evaluation of the outputObjectFluidFromAsset attribute which was preventing the playback of volume data in Maya. I will backport those fixes to 17.0 and 16.5.

Reordering the attributes within a compound appears to be safe and does not break backward or forward compatibility with mb files,
but it's still only a workaround for internal Maya issues. I'm still hoping that there will be updates from autodesk with the real fix.

In the meantime, if other reproducable issues turn up in update 5 that can be safely worked around in code, then I will backport those as well.

As for 2019, I have workarounds for these and some other specific crashes, but I still see occasional random crashes. I will post in more detail about our plans shortly
Edited by juliap - Feb. 4, 2019 11:19:14
  • Quick Links