Mplay does not respect "limit memory usage"

1386   5   1
26 posts
Hello,

I am required to render out a Wedge tonight. It's a Redshift ROP, and the wedges sum up to about 12,000 frames (each frame only takes a few seconds).

I am noticing that MPlay's memory usage keeps growing as the render goes on. Obviously because it caches the rendered images. Now I'm worried that the render will crash tonight because there's no way it will fit 12,000 frames into memory. In Mplay I've gone to:
Windows -> Memory -> Limit Viewer Memory Usage and limited it to 3,000 Mb for testing

But task manager tells me that this limit is ignored. After 320 frames, mplay.exe takes up over 10,000 Mb of RAM. I don't have time to wait and find out what will happen when the machine's memory limit is reached. What may be the issue here?
310 posts
I think the issue is that you are indeed capping your memory usage. Only work around I have found is to write out the images to a directory, instead of keeping them in mplay, then you can use play to load the image sequence when it is done (or part way to test, for that matter). This should avoid the Fatal Segmentation error that would occur.
79 posts
interesting, does anyone know a command line method to generate mplay image sequences?(linux)
26 posts
And indeed the rendering crashed at night.

Midasssilver
Only work around I have found is to write out the images to a directory, instead of keeping them in mplay
I don't need to see the images in Mplay at all, I just need these frames to render without crashing. How can I do what you describe?

When I hit the Render Wedges button, Mplay automatically opens. And If I close the Mplay window, this wedge iteration immediately cancels, a new Mplay opens, and the next wedge iteration begins to render.
310 posts
I'd suggest figuring out a workflow that doesn't incorporate mplay (or ip), as having those windows use up your memory is crashing your sessions. You can watch the task manager for memory usage, and see what happens. If it caps out, your sessions will probably crash.
79 posts
I know how to do this. The problem is that you want to write out mplay images without them being stored in the memory for interactive viewing, simple: rightclick mplay and uncheck write to mplay
  • Quick Links