polyexpand2D + boolean = bad result!

1967   7   0
1004 posts
Hi!

I was using a boolean to cut the shape of the floor through the wood planks. Both geos are 2D and the boolean was working. When I decided to “shrink” the shape of the walls by adding a polyexpand2D sop right before the boolean, it stopped working. The result of the boolean is zero points.

I uploaded a simpler version of a circle through a grid. The same problem happens
Edited by olivierth - Feb. 4, 2019 08:13:28

Attachments:
polyexpand2d_boolean_problem.hip (66.3 KB)
polyexpand2d_boolean_b.JPG (59.8 KB)

236 posts
I'm not sure why it happens but if you compare the Y size of the circle, transform and polyexpand you'll see it's off zero on all except the circle. You can add a transform sop after the polyexpand and scale Y to 0 or use a match size sop but neither return it to zero. (But close enough that the Boolean works again)
1004 posts
AH!!

I'll just use a wrangle set the Y to exactly what it needs to be.

Thanks a lot!

-Olivier
555 posts
this alternate version just works.

Attachments:
vu_polyextrude.hiplc (72.8 KB)

1004 posts
Ah! I always forget about using the inset feature!

Thanks.

-Olivier
12 posts
Banging head against the wall for several hours now. Same issue. PolyExpand2d produced geometry will always mess boolean ops.

I have a curve which I first need to expand then crop using another randomly shaped 2D mesh as a mask. If I use PolyExtrude on the curve the produced mesh will work fine with any boolean ops. However if I use PolyExpand2d the boolean becomes broken. Trouble is PolyExtrude doesn't quite work for what I need this for, need PolyExpand2d for uniform expansion on both sides of the curve.

Any ideas what is going on please?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 22.23.42.png (345.9 KB)
CurveIntersectTest.hipnc (183.2 KB)

675 posts
It's because polyexpand isn't absolutely flat.
Just add a transform after polyexpand and scale Y axis to zero.

Cheers
CYTE
12 posts
Worked. Thank you CYTE!
  • Quick Links