Import skinned geometry from FBX, create new geometry, then export FBX with skin

2056   4   2
3 posts
Hey,

I'm pretty new to Houdini and this is my first post here, but I'm hoping the topic is adequate.
I'm using Houdini 17.0.416 and trying to import skinned geometry from FBX, replace the original geometry while keeping the information necessary for skinning, and then export the new skinned geometry back to FBX together with the skin. Everything's working quite nicely except for the skin not being exported, so I'm probably missing something but don't know what. My current approach regarding in-/export roughly is:

- Import the FBX including skin (File > Import > Filmbox FBX)
- Unpack bone capture attributes (Capture Attribute Unpack)
- Transfer attributes to new geometry (VEX but data looks valid)
- Pack bone capture attributes on that geometry (Capture Attribute Pack)
- Apply bone deform (Bone Deform)
- Export to FBX (ROP FBX Output)

The geometry gets exported correctly, but even with ‘Force Skin Deform Export’ being turned on, the skinning does not get exported. Am I missing something?
Staff
3455 posts
can you provide and example file?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
3 posts
Thanks for the answer! Sorry that it took a few days to answer - I wasn't at the office for the last few days (^_^
I made a quick sample that allows to reproduce my problem - the problem of me using Houdini wrong I guess…

Attachments:
skinned_box.fbx (28.3 KB)
skinned_box.hip (187.0 KB)

3 posts
I had time to revisit the problem and thanks to a advice from SideFX the problem turned out to be the last step in the process:

- Export to FBX (ROP FBX Output)

I initially exported from within the SOP using the ROP FBX Output, but changing to exporting from a ROP network to FBX did the trick.
12 posts
Also sometimes you need to tick the “Force Skin Deform Export” option depending on your network structure.
  • Quick Links