Guide Simulate on Changing Topology

881   0   1
1 posts
Hello,
I am currently trying to groom an alembic cache of an exploding dog. I will explain my process/what I have done so far, but first I'll explain the issue.
Since my geometry breaks apart over time, the guide simulate node will not work. Guide deform can be created, but jitters all over the place for a less-than-satisfactory result. I want to know if there's a way to simulate the guides as the geometry explodes, or at least get the guide deform stable?

Process:
> exploded the dog in Maya using an ncloth tearable surface constraint and cached it out (UVs are all good, I checked).
> imported in the cache and timeshifted out the first frame of the animation. Groomed this.
> Created the guide deform & simulate. For the guide sim, the first 25 frames before the dog tears work fine, but the frame he starts to break the guides disappear. If I just use guide deform they will not disappear, but jitter a lot and are practically unusable.

If anyone has any ideas or needs more information about the issue, please let me know! Thank you!

UPDATE: I still have not solved the problem, but found that by mapping guides and the hair gen density attribute based on uvs, it is a little more stable. The hairs still scatter, but not as much (still wouldn't call this usable). Still not simming and considerably jittery. So, I'm still open to suggestions!
Edited by JessPaolo - Feb. 22, 2019 16:05:20
  • Quick Links