nes sprites

1622   4   1
193 posts
I want to use Houdini to produce sprites for the 8-bit NES. individual sprites on that console are limited to 3 colors + 1 transparent color. 8x8 pixels per sprite.
Image Not Found

is there a way that i can force houdini to output only the colors red, green, and blue when rendering?

(so i can replace them with 4 color NES palettes, later)
Edited by twelveplusplus - Feb. 25, 2019 21:19:23

Attachments:
tree_model_001.PNG (343.4 KB)
tree_001.png (834 bytes)
tree-001.bmp (822 bytes)
mushroom_001.png (822 bytes)
cactus-001.bmp (822 bytes)
nes_gfx.gif (140.3 KB)

670 posts
You could quantize colors in COPs.
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
193 posts
ok, that's one thing that i was thinking of, but i'm not super familiar with the COPs nodes, so i wasn't sure which node to use. Also, how can do i wire the output from mantra into a COP network?

I really would like to automate the process as much as possible. especially for animations such as character walk cycle.
670 posts
The node to read in renders in COPs is called… render.
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
193 posts
thanks. i tried the cops workflow yesterday.. (the render node is sweet, btw, so useful! )

couldn't figure out how to specify just 4 colors and which ones exactly (tried quantize, colormap, etc). the docs are a bit sparse in that corner…

I'm thinking i will try to code something with python and/or vex… vex cops were… strange looking… just a single text box with no real explanation… just for a one-liner? i guess?

i'm also gonna try doing it in sops. i can just use tiles of a grid like they are pixels. that should be pretty easy, and then i can use a paint cop for touch ups, etc…

WHHHYY IS THERE NO PAINT COP, SIDEFX? Seriously? i want to paint textures right in houdini!
  • Quick Links