Search - User list
Full Version: IFC import and general support of Architecture, CAD and GIS- like needs
Root » Houdini Lounge » IFC import and general support of Architecture, CAD and GIS- like needs
filipw
I would like to be able to import and export the BIM format IFC to Houdini for futher manipulation as well as export back to IFC. I found no information of people doing anything like this at the moment since I can find no info in this forum or on odforce.

However, I believe that Houdini could be a very nice toolbox also in the areas of architecture, GIS and CAD in general.

At the moment I will try wrapping some pyhton libraries to get data in and out but I'm am not an expert (nor do I want to be) on the intricasies of the IFC file format so if anyone have pointers or suggestions for workflows in this domain I would appriciate it greatly!
/F
filipw
Just for reference: I got it working enough for a test case but writing a proper importer exporter would be a massive effort.
IFC is an extremely convoluted format so for most cases I assume only a subset could be supported. I anticipate that using primitives with attributes is the sane start but I am not at all sure how to export in a meaningful manner.
Are there other examples of input/output of CAD data somewhere?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.