Indie/HQueue does not support generating disk files

2263   4   0
52 posts
I have Indie installed on two networked computers. I installed HQserver and HQclient on one computer and used the other computer to run Houdini, create a project and submit a HQueue Render job. It took a while, but I eventually got everything working correctly, but the job failed, with the following error.

Accessing “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.459\bin\hython” …
Loading .hip file \\S1031325\hq/projects/HQueueTest_01.hiplc.
PROGRESS: 0%ERROR: The attempted operation failed.
Error: Indie does not support generating disk files.

Note that I have an Indie License and a Mantra Render License on the computer with HQueueServer and HQueueClient. I do not have a Houdini Engine installed on the remote rendering computer.

This is a simple scene with a grid and a torus. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Brad Carvey
52 posts
The disk files, appears to apply to the IFD files, which may not be supported in Indie.
The question is can I remotely render images on multiple computers with the Indie version?
Brad Carvey
39 posts
Yes, it is possible.It is confusing that with default settings Houdini will attempt to write ifds, which are not supported in Indie. You will have to disable the ifd writing checkbox in /out/mantra ->Driver

You will also need a Houdini Engine Indie as well as a Renderer (Indie/Apprentice) license on the render nodes.

You could also use other third party render management software, or copy files manually and render from the command line.
Edited by jandress - Feb. 26, 2019 22:09:57
52 posts
The HQueue Render node also has a location to disable IFDS.
I got past that and installed a Houdini Engine Indie. Now it starts, loads the scene and tries to render.

Error: Could not create output directory Hframes.

This is weird. This directory exists and I can access it on all computers using Hframes inside a command window. I have permissions set to allow me and all administrators to have full control.

I am really close to making this work. Any suggestions?
Brad Carvey
52 posts
Finally got everything working. The last issue was not restarting HQueueServer, after making some changes.
Brad Carvey
  • Quick Links