Vellum cloth sim with thread pulling cloth together

5349   10   2
41 posts
A few months ago someone had posted some vellum cloth sims with a black cloth and thread constraints that pulled them together in a sewing like manner…. anyone remember these?
39 posts
Looks like half-rings of flat cloth, Vellum-constrained to the cloth sheet underneath. You could also use Vellum Struts on low-res torus geo, with enough iterations it'll read as a rigid body… any luck yet? Should be pretty straightforward to set up.
–Dave
41 posts
I'm working on getting the strings to work (my first forays into Vellum).

Unfortunately, I'm having a huge Houdini crash issue which isn't letting me open H with my Nvidia card.
39 posts
Oh no, sorry to hear that!! I've heard a lot of people are having issues with the new RTX cards, no issues here with my trusty 1080 Ti's. Do you have plenty of system RAM?
41 posts
It was something in my Houdini.env file.

I'm using a 1080, so thats all good.

Just wrapping my hear around making the thread….. then the cloth… then putting it together…..

Nice e-mando Dave.
39 posts
Haha, first time I've heard that from another Houdini user! I take it you're a musician too? Love my 5-string Mann, been gigging with it for years. Also have a Breedlove Cascade acoustic mando.
Glad you sorted out the issue.
As for the setup, I think I've got a sample setup laying around on my HD, will see if I can find something that will point you in the right direction!
–Dave
41 posts
We can't be the only two mando-dini-ers. I have a Hamlett mando, and a banjo (for shame… but it's a tenor)

Would love to see your setup.

//ad
39 posts
Built this Vellum setup really quick, it's a bit slow and jittery but hopefully gives you some ideas! There are probably 10 other ways to set this up of course, I'd keep experimenting to find other options that might work better.

Hadn't heard of Hamlett mandos, but they look and sound great!! No banjo shame needed, I have a little banjo uke I pull out from time to time. And a cheap mandola, and old a-style that I can't get rid of cuz Chris Thile signed it, and what I call my ManTar… an Arrow 5-string tenor guitar, gypsy-jazz style with a small oval soundhole, tuned CGDAE an octave below my emando. Fun stuff!
–d

Attachments:
DStewart_Vellum_StringLiftsClothRingsConstraints_01.hiplc (536.4 KB)

41 posts
Thanks. Checking it out now. The GJ tenor sounds like a cool thing. I love gypsy and tenor….. If only I won the lottery, then I could do all my geeky hobbies all day long…..
39 posts
Ah yes, I got that one for a steal as the luthier had built it as a prototype and wanted to find a home for it!
If you're into gypsy jazz you can find our music on CD Baby, I've been playing with Ranger for 12 years now I think?? Time flies…
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/RangerandtheReArrangers [store.cdbaby.com]
  • Quick Links