Search - User list
Full Version: 17.5 Announcement
Root » Houdini Lounge » 17.5 Announcement
Midphase
I figured someone's got to start it, right?

Tomorrow is the big day, with details officially coming on Friday.

I'm very excited about this, and I hope it brings new cool stuff like improvements to Vellum as well as speed improvements overall.

I think it would be amazing if there is more information about a possible Mantra GPU update, but I admit I'm not optimistic about it being ready within the near future.

Nonetheless, it should be fun.

Anyone care to speculate as to what else we'll see, or perhaps what they wish we'll see (before Friday)?

P.S.

After Friday we can continue to chat about the actual 17.5 release and see if anyone guessed some stuff correctly!
jarenas
I predict:
- procedural dependency graph (because it’s explicit in the Eventbrite event)
- improvements to Vellum and rest of 17 new technologies (because it’s explicit in the Eventbrite event )
- another short teaser or mention about the Solaris/LOPs project (90% chance) or a complete preview of the technology (10% chance, not holding my breath). Look development context using Hydra?
- I don’t think GPU mantra will be available for a long time. You just have to see even big companies focused on rendering like SolidAngle wont tell any specific ETA for the GPU render engine…
Andr
Midphase
I think it would be amazing if there is more information about a possible Mantra GPU update, but I admit I'm not optimistic about it being ready within the near future.

Speaking about wild dreams, I would be amazed by a 17.5 release exclusively focused on fixing and resurrecting COPs to compete with Substance Designer
Majinpu
Andr
Midphase
Speaking about wild dreams, I would be amazed by a 17.5 release exclusively focused on fixing and resurrecting COPs to compete with Substance Designer

yep! looking forward to this as well!!
gfxfx
I genuine got goose bumps and i not seen anything yet

please please do not turn this post into wish list !
jarenas
I think 17.5 will be a really minor update…
Andrea Sbabo
jarenas
I think 17.5 will be a really minor update…

Same. Since there are no many hints by SideFX I guess it will be “just” about tops/pdg and maybe some other USD related stuff.

Or maybe they have been silent just because there is big surprise I'm hyped in any case
Sincrol
will the thing be live online?
Majinpu
btw tops will be already something big
Andrea Sbabo
For what I have read, is not hard to trust you
jarenas
pu
btw tops will be already something big
Even for one person teams ?
Midphase
Well, it's happening at 6pm Montreal time today, perhaps if someone is in attendance and would like to update us that would be swell.

Otherwise, I think the official announcement from SideFX is happening tomorrow at noon.
mzigaib
I think this release is so weirdly done, no word from Sidefx publicly? Is this update really real?
jarenas
mzigaib
I think this release is so weirdly done, no word from Sidefx publicly? Is this update really real?
Same here, so weird feeling compared to previous presentations…
goldfarb
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/61588/ [www.sidefx.com]

much more tomorrow
Siavash Tehrani
jarenas
mzigaib
Same here, so weird feeling compared to previous presentations…

Personally I think it's a better approach, at least from a marketing standpoint. I feel that in the past, SESI has revealed way too much information and media before the actual announcement. Kind of like a trailer that gives away the whole movie.
bobc4d
goldfarb
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/61588/ [www.sidefx.com]

much more tomorrow

tomorrow noon huh. I think I am starting to come down with something ** cough cough hack weeeze ** so I better call in sick to avoid spreading it around
TwinSnakes007
Here's the only hint I'll give for H17.5 spoilers: Ask a bird from Japan
jarenas
Daryl Dunlap
Here's the only hint I'll give for H17.5 spoilers: Ask a bird from Japan

Somehow I managed to avoid translating and spoiling myself haha. Fortunately, 12pm est coincides with the end of workday here in Spain
xilofoton
It could simply be ROPs on steroids, ROPs 2.0… or the heart and soul of your whole pipeline…
… hardly any scripting is required…
… that was part the thing not to have to be a programmer…
https://www.sidefx.com/community/houdini-175-launch-event/ [www.sidefx.com]

Houdini w/o keyboard We just need an iPad version and leave the dark caves of VFX houses…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.