Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini Indie vs Houdini FX for Remote Artist
Root » Houdini Lounge » Houdini Indie vs Houdini FX for Remote Artist
VFXLife
Hello,

I am going to start working remotely as an FX artist for my studio soon, and I'm trying to determine which product is the correct one in my situation.

Houdini Indie has all the same features as Houdini FX, but it saves in its own file formats. I'm wondering if this will be problematic for me, because I will need to send my .hip files over to the studio to generate caches and render. They have Houdini FX installed on several computers there. In order to share my .hip files with the other computers at the studio, will I need to have a matching Houdini FX license, or will a Houdini Indie license be compatible?

Thanks,

Chris
anon_user_37409885
Indie license is incompatible, it reduces to an apprentice license IIRC, and also not allowed via the license restrictions. i.e. you can't sell your services by providing a .hiplc file.
VFXLife
goat
Indie license is incompatible, it reduces to an apprentice license IIRC, and also not allowed via the license restrictions. i.e. you can't sell your services by providing a .hiplc file.

Got it. Thanks for the quick reply! Houdini FX license it is.

Thanks,

Chris
KZLCR
goat
I know this is a year old post but I just stumbled onto this.

So, when I'm ready to profit off my work in Houdini Indie- I can't? It's a bit confusing…

I'd need to get a Core license?

Thanks,

Daniel
mandrake0
KZLCR
goat
I know this is a year old post but I just stumbled onto this.

So, when I'm ready to profit off my work in Houdini Indie- I can't? It's a bit confusing…

I'd need to get a Core license?

Thanks,

Daniel

you can earn money with houdini indie but you can't share .hip, Geo, shaders,…. files as a project work. final render files can be sold.

you can read the license agreement or get in contact with SideFx for full clarifications.

license-agreement
https://www.sidefx.com/legal/license-agreement/ [www.sidefx.com]

6.2 Indie Licenses. Indie Licenses are only available to Eligible Indie Individuals and Eligible Indie Organizations. For clarity, if an Organization is Using a Commercial License of the Software, an Eligible Indie Individual who is Licensee Personnel of the Organization may Use the Software outside of that Organization via an Indie License. In the case of an Indie User who is using the Software to create content that is not final rendered images for a third party, and that third party will use such content in connection with a Commercial activity, such third party and its Affiliates and related individuals must also be Eligible Indie Individuals or Eligible Indie Organizations. If Licensee is taking advantage of the pricing applicable to Indie Licenses, Licensee represents and warrants that it satisfies the criteria set out in this Section 6.2.

“Eligible Indie Individual” means an individual who has in the current calendar year, or had in the most recently completed calendar year, aggregate gross revenues of less than $100,000 USD from direct or indirect Use of the Software outside an Organization.

“Eligible Indie Organization” means an Organization such that the Organization and its Affiliates collectively have in the current calendar year, or had in the most recently completed calendar year, directly or indirectly, aggregate gross revenues from all sources less than $100,000 USD. Additionally, any funding received by this Organization or its Affiliates, including private equity, venture capital, angel or mezzanine financing, and all other forms of funding, in the last 24 months is less than $1,000,000 USD.
KZLCR
mandrake0
such third party and its Affiliates and related individuals must also be Eligible Indie Individuals or Eligible Indie Organizations.
Thanks for the response and included clause.

So it seems it can be used for a third party, with me as an intermediate work/file creator* if, and only if, the person I convey the file too also uses an Indie license.

Very interesting, hopefully I find myself in a situation where I'm needed to upgrade from Indie.

Thanks again,

Daniel

*Edit: I'm sure I'm missing something, but it seems like Core isn't even a viable alternative to FX…It's limited in a lot of ways…
Midphase
I often wonder why people post these types of questions on the forum? If one is not clear about the exact legality of what the indie license allows for, it would be best to contact SideFX directly and get an official answer rather than leave it to the interpretation of other users.
eikonoklastes
Midphase
I often wonder why people post these types of questions on the forum? If one is not clear about the exact legality of what the indie license allows for, it would be best to contact SideFX directly and get an official answer rather than leave it to the interpretation of other users.
People likely do not expect or are not aware of the level of competence and/or response time they get from SideFX support. I would imagine they're conditioned on Adobe/Autodesk/Microsoft support, which is often slower and more useless than a Google search or forum post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.