Asset creation: when does it save?

2911   5   0
1007 posts
Hi!

I've created a new asset (Asset -> New Digital Asset From Selection…) and chose a path where to save it. Now I'm making a bunch of changes inside the Subnet and I was wondering if Houdini saved everytime I make changes or do I have to be in the Type Properties window and click Accept?

-Olivier
Staff
3455 posts
yes, you can think of the HDA as a hip file inside your hip file.
you can also RMB on the asset itself and select ‘Save Node Type’
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1007 posts
It's nice to know the Save Node Type trick but I've never done that yet it saves my asset anyway. If I never manually save it, when does it automatically save?

-Olivier
2038 posts
It never automatically saves…to update your new changes you have to use “Save Node Type”.

If your working on your asset and have made some changes, but change your mind…use “Match Current Definition”,

in which case it will remove all these changes you had been making and set the asset to the last time you did a “Save Node Type”,

or if you hadn't done that yet with the asset, the same set up when you first created the asset.
1007 posts
Thanks for the info.

-Olivier
8548 posts
It does automatically save when you hit Accept or Apply in Type Properties, you should however get numbered backups in the backup folder in case you didn't mean to “save” and need to revert beck
Edited by tamte - March 19, 2019 02:01:46
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links