Search - User list
Full Version: Group by Edges Doesn't Work
Root » Technical Discussion » Group by Edges Doesn't Work
chenxingyustar
Hi I'm new to Houdini and I'm currently following the tutorial of Guard Tower at https://www.sidefx.com/learn/collections/guard-tower. [www.sidefx.com]

In the video ‘GUARD TOWER 2 | WOOD WALL PART 1 | CREATING A WOOD PLANK’, we need to use a group node to group the outer edges of the box by enabling ‘Include by Edges’ and tick ‘Min Edge Angle’. However this does not work for me and I'm still selecting all the faces (or all the edges if I change ‘Group By’ to ‘Edges’).

Any help?
EvanP
Hi,

I think you forgot to disable the “enable” case in the Base Group part of the groupSOP. So it selects all the geometry because no pattern is given to it. You want to group only by edges so disable the “Base Group” and enable the “Include by Edges”.

In the group node you can accumulate different ways of grouping in the same node. For example you can group primitives by normals in the “Keep by Normals” part, but you can also add manual primitives to the group in the same node by selecting them in the “Base group” part. This can be useful, but don't forget to uncheck the base group toggle when you don't need it.

Did it solve your problem ?

Cheers,
Evan
radm0bile
Sorry to post so late to this but I am running into the same issue.

I am using Houdini 18 and in a group node that has include by edges and edge angle on.

Base Group has been disabled but no edges are being selected. Is there a step I am missing here?
furucius
@EvanP I didn't ask the original question, but I had the same problem, and this fixed it. Thanks!
NikoChapito
I think you need to be in polygon Mesh... otherwise, nothing happened ! (with a cube)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.