Deep Shadow bug

5679   10   1
73 posts
hi everyone

I think I've found a bug. I've tested that on two computers. Win xp sp2.
Houdini 8.1761

Description:

I have four spot lights, each with a light shader, using deep shadow map gen. On the frame where u create at first the shadow map somehow it does not know which shadow map to use (the shadow shader) After I manually choose the map previously generated it knows. Quite annoying.

Maybe I'm stupid, but it seems to be a bug anyway.

Thanx
73 posts
maybe not the shadowmap gen is the bed boy.

Seems now that the facet sop does something really stupid. Yeah. When I turn it off , everything is ok. But this previous problem drives deepshadow selection crazy.
7714 posts
Is there a .hip file that demonstrates this problem. I don't really understand your description.
73 posts
Again my description.

When u want to render deep shadows the shadow shader fails to choose the good shadow map file, in case when auto generate deep shadow is turned on. At least seems to me. But when this auto generated deep shadow map is rendered to disk and u choose that again for the shadow shader its ok, provided u turn off auto generate shadow map. But this problem occurs only if u have the facet sop activated on the problematic area.
73 posts
One more thing. Seems to me, not thee facet sop is the bad guy, rather smooth shading.
73 posts
Creating reference copyes of the lights and setting these as the shadow map file gen lights everything is ok now
1631 posts
I think it's best if you post a simple hip file that demostrates the problem. Like Edward, I don't understand what the problem is.

Cheers!
steven
73 posts
OK, it is hard to create an uploadable file with the accompaniing textures, they are huge. But I'll try, if I have time.

Thanx anyway.

Not a simple problem.
4140 posts
No need to post any images - just the hip file, stripped down if possible to the bare essentials to recreate the problem.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7025 posts
It sounds like the shadow map for each light is named the same. Try using this for the name of the shadow map

$TEMP/shadowmap_$OS.rat

$OS will be replaced with the name of the light, making sure that each light generates a different map.

It's too bad that SESI doesn't provide a default for the name of the shadow map, many people run into this problem.

Cheers,

Peter B
73 posts
Shadow maps are correctly named, there are shadow shaders, these are feed into the light shadow shader parm field.
  • Quick Links