Flipbook / OpenGL / TOPS question

4263   5   0
37 posts
I'm trying to set up a very basic wedge network in TOPS to help me explore RBD sims. I've got it working as intended for a Mantra path. I can set my wedges and render out the appropriate frames; all good.

But I cannot get a viable flipbook render of the same set up. I had been using the OpenGL ROP assuming it was the correct path to mimic that function but perhaps I'm mistaken. The render times, while faster than mantra, are still significantly slower that a simple flipbook. I can also not get the same output “look” which also re-enforces the idea that it is not the same render path.

so…

Was I wrong to assume that the OpenGL ROP is the path to invoke a flipbook? If so, what is the correct method?

Relatively new to all this but hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers,
Pete
Staff
5156 posts
The OpenGL ROP uses the same renderer as the viewport flipbook but not the same settings. It creates an entirely new view to render with, so your current viewport settings won't be taken into consideration. Also, it uses HQ Lighting by default, which may change the look if you're used to seeing the viewport with regular lighting (see Display Options tab).
37 posts
ok. So the OpenGL ROP *is* the correct path? That is good to confirm.

I just need to continue tweaking settings till I get what I need? Essentially I should be able to get the same out put speed as my viewport? I'm more interested in the speed than anything “look” related.

Pete
Staff
5156 posts
The OpenGL ROP shouldn't be much slower than flipbooking unless TOPs is doing something odd with how it's rendering (like firing off single renders per frame rather than rendering a whole sequence). HQ Lighting is also generally slower, so if that and shadows are on, you could be getting somewhat slower render times (but not by a whole lot). The ROP also doesn't do any rendering of backgrounds, handles, grids, guides, visualizers, or decorations (eg, point markers).

What part of the look is different for you?
37 posts
Well, I've been playing with a lot of setting, turning off as much as I can. As I say, the speed of the flip book is what I'm after, not trying to match the look. Let me try the “in one batch toggle”. Maybe that is slowing things down.

Thanks!
Pete
37 posts
Uh, wow. So yeah, the as one batch thing was the difference. Much *much* faster now. Yay! Thanks!!
  • Quick Links