Alembic hierarchy problem

3449   5   1
385 posts
i am trying to export an alembic file, with “path attribute” set to name and “build hierarchy from attribute” checked and it throws this error.

When i open it in Cinema 4d objects that had the same name are separated and renamed with a suffix group1 had lets say 3 objects, so after the export houdini gives me objects, group1_1, group1_2, group1_3.
Edited by papsphilip - May 2, 2019 17:07:50

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (56.8 KB)
Capture2.JPG (51.8 KB)

7755 posts
Are all the pieces named “/group1”? You'll need to give the packs unique names if you don't want them renamed automatically.
385 posts
jsmack
Are all the pieces named “/group1”? You'll need to give the packs unique names if you don't want them renamed automatically.

yes a lot of them have the same name but its supposed to mash them together in one object according to their name. group_1 group_2 etc
this worked in a previous test i did, the only difference was the naming.
Edited by papsphilip - May 2, 2019 18:56:55

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (24.2 KB)
Captur1e.JPG (26.6 KB)
Captur3e.JPG (14.4 KB)

385 posts
jsmack

ok i found it, the problem occurs if i try to export the alembic file after i have packed my geometry….i can avoid that but i'd like to know why this is happening. these are my settings for packing :

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (27.2 KB)

Staff
327 posts
Packed geometry primitives contains a transform and nested attributes that can be very different from those of other packed geometry primitives. The Alembic ROP will not attempt to merge the contents of packed primitives due to these complications. If you wish to use packed primitives, you should re-organize your geometry prior to export to reflect what you want in each Alembic shape node.

If you are working with packed primitives, you likely want to keep the transform separate from the rest of the geometry. Consider using names like “/group1/group1Shape”, “/group2/group2Shape”, etc. for your shapes and set “Packed Transform” to “Merge With Parent Transform” on the Alembic ROP.
385 posts
derrick
Packed geometry primitives contains a transform and nested attributes that can be very different from those of other packed geometry primitives. The Alembic ROP will not attempt to merge the contents of packed primitives due to these complications. If you wish to use packed primitives, you should re-organize your geometry prior to export to reflect what you want in each Alembic shape node.

If you are working with packed primitives, you likely want to keep the transform separate from the rest of the geometry. Consider using names like “/group1/group1Shape”, “/group2/group2Shape”, etc. for your shapes and set “Packed Transform” to “Merge With Parent Transform” on the Alembic ROP.

So after trial and error it was simple, i just had to pack using the name attribute (not class) and all the named objects mush into the corresponding groups, so when i import into cinema4d i have just the 3 or 4 objects named after the name attribute from houdini.
  • Quick Links