SideFX plans for Windows-Linux

2370   4   1
2036 posts
Came across this news today…one among many articles that can be found:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/shipping-a-linux-kernel-with-windows/ [devblogs.microsoft.com]

One of my personal plans eventually is too set up a dedicated box running some linux distro for Houdini,

solely to squeak out better use of memory, compared to windows.

Of course having a dual-boot system can serve my needs.

But I am wondering if SideFX is looking at seeing how this new Windows development might be able to be taken advantage of for Houdini?

Is better OS memory management possible? Other potential benefits?
575 posts
The main issue I have with dualboot is licensing. Unfortunaley linux and windows on the same machine generate different server codes.
not a problem with floating licenses, but with nodelock this is at least unfortunate
56 posts
sanostol
The main issue I have with dualboot is licensing. Unfortunaley linux and windows on the same machine generate different server codes.
not a problem with floating licenses, but with nodelock this is at least unfortunate

From Houdini 17 or 17.5 sidefx gives the second license for dual boot purpose.
2036 posts
But if your already using the second license on another box…sanostol would still have the same issue.

If however one could directly use the windows linux kernal, from windows; One wouldn't need to dual boot or use the extra license on the same box.
575 posts
BabaJ
But if your already using the second license on another box…sanostol would still have the same issue.
no, I did not intend to use the license on another box. same computer just dual boot.
i think the second license exist only for indie.
Edited by sanostol - June 10, 2019 18:14:23
  • Quick Links