Walking Path: Imported VS Houdini Generated Animation

1733   1   1
72 posts
Hi,

First of all, I am asking a lot of questions these days as I am progressing with my Houdini trail projects, please bear with me and appreciate your time. The people in this forum are very supportive.

I had two characters, the first character is a creature I rigged and animated in Houdini myself. The other one is a simple character with a walking animation from Maximo. My objective is to create a walking path as I have the walking cycle for both models, but something wrong with my work flow, I am not able to get the the models following the path at all. I used below tutorial from SideFX for the path motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFg3lB7PCRM&t=47s [www.youtube.com]

Attachments:
Walking.zip (3.3 MB)

72 posts
I found the answer to above inquire myself. I am writing it down in case someone search this forum or the web for the same thing. If anyone else is reading this and he can contribute or comment, please feel free to do so :

There are two approaches whether you have your character rigged in houdini or imported from else where:

1- Path animation based on Motion Path node:

At the object level, create a new Geo node, and inside it you can use Agent node. Then, at the agent node parameters select the character rig or FBX file. Check if the animation is also imported at this stage. Now, you can use Motion Path tool to set up a path for the animation.

2- Path animation based on Crowed Simulation:

This approach is a little bit longer and requires basic knowledge of crowed simulation in Houdini (Search it in Youtube), but it is somehow more animation friendly since there will more parameters exposed for animation to control your character movement and speed. You do not need to use the Populate node since you are only working with one character. Once you are done sitting up the agent and crowed simulation in this step, you can draw the path and you Crowed Path node from the shelf tool instead of the Motion Path.

Cheers!!
  • Quick Links