Search - User list
Full Version: OSX OpenGL/CL Deprecation
Root » Houdini Lounge » OSX OpenGL/CL Deprecation
jbartolozzi
Per: https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/ [developer.apple.com]

Is it fair to expect that Houdini will no longer be supported on OSX moving forward considering the loss of OpenGL/CL on OSX?
Or will Sesi attempt to re-implement Houdini's features in Metal?
Midphase
Deprecation doesn't mean elimination. I am sure that SideFX and Apple are working together to figure out a way that Houdini will work in future versions of OSX. In the meantime, my personal recommendation is to stick with High Sierra since it is still being supported by the likes of Nvidia and others.
mandrake0
As midphaes said SESI is working on that.

In my view the solution will be more vulkan with a layer to metal but thats not a simple task. (Moltengl or moltenvk)
anon_user_37409885
Houdini 18 is apparently being launched on the new Mac Pro with Os X 10.15 /s
Midphase
Well…looks like it's official – SideFX is sticking it out with OS X!
jujoje
I wonder if this means we can look forward to improvements in Apples support for 3D in general, and Houdini in particular?

It really sucks that viewport on the Mac lags behind win and linux and there always seem to be a fair raft of frustratingly elusive MacOS specific bugs (most likely tied to GL). Had thought that when Houdini was used for a majority of the iMacPro promo videos Apple might think about improving their 3D support, but so far, so little as far as I can tell.

Apple's always a bit off in that they support things like usd and alembic really early on (even in Finder which was pretty neat), but then deprecate OpenGL/CL and stick with OpenGL driver from a decade ago.

Yup, totally just ranting on this, but it's kinda frustrating.
jbartolozzi
The lack of releasing the existing and functioning Nvidia drivers for OSX > 10.13.6 is also pretty surprising.
Really hope to see Cuda compatibility given that Redshift and Otoy are on that slide.
Unless those guys are planning on adopting Metal.
jujoje
From what I remember OTOY was already announced as running on metal (they showed it running on an iPad , and iirc they mentioned in the keynote that Redshift was using Metal.

I think Renderman XPU is Nvidia only (not CUDA but custom), so lack of Nvidia drivers, or cards is disappointing (although in the later case hardly surprising).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.